Lucky- Chapter 22

-Jo- Past

"Okay, I'm going to need you to get on this tray," says Beatrice, "It will take you under the scanner that is going to do a scan of your body. The results will come about five minutes after, so you can get dressed right after this. You'll be under it for about three minutes then I'll take you out. You might be a little dizzy from the light but you'll be fine in about two minutes. Okay?" Doctor Beatrice looked at me with a worried look, she could most likely tell that I was scared for my life. Even though it was only three minutes.

"Uh yeah," I say, starting to walk towards the tray.

"I'll help you up," she says, grabbing my foot and pushing me up.

"Thanks," I say, looking into her eyes as I lay down on the tray. Her eyes show as much emotion as I've ever seen, she pats my hand at my side.

"You're welcome," she says, with a smooth smile, "Now just try to stay still while the light moves. And you can close your eyes too."

I nod quickly as my stomach drops, she squeezes my hand once then returns to the electrical panel that started the machine. As the tray starts to move me into the weird circular tube, I try to stay completely still.

Oh goodness, I think, please get me out of this alive.

I can see the light from the machine moving around me through my eyelids. I tense a bit but I try to relax. Think about something to get your mind off of this, I think, Alex. I wonder what he's doing right now. I think about how much he must love me in order to put his entire life on the line, about how lucky I am to have him in my life, how much he truly means to me, wondering what he's doing right now. I think about how much I love him but never had the chance to tell him.

"Okay," says Beatrice, with a little chuckle, "you can open your eyes now."

I finally notice that I've locked my eyes shut and scrunched my face up, "oh yeah."

She helps me down and takes me back into the room where I see Alex standing with a worried expression.

"Um... I'll leave you two alone while I go look a the scans," says Beatrice, stepping out into the scanning room again.

I nod my head at her as she starts to close the door. "Jo," Alex says, sitting down in one of the chairs, "Are you okay?" He grabs onto my hand and helps me onto the chair beside him.

"Yeah," I say, "or I mean I will be, listen I need to tell you something."

"What is it?" he asks, grabbing onto both of my hands. The sight of him being so concerned for me brings tears to my eyes and suddenly I'm crying all over again. "Goodness Jo, what wrong?

"I-" I start, trying to find my sense and the words to say at the same time, "Alex, I love you."

Alex stares into my eyes and squints at me for a moment, "You what?"

"I love you," I say, "did you not hear me the first time?"

"No," he says, smiling, "I just wanted to hear you say it again." He grabs my face gently and kisses me on the forehead, "no matter what results come back, I promise I won't ever leave you."

A sob escapes me and I breath in, "Really?" I sigh as if that was hard to keep in.

"Of course," he says, "I love you."

I smile at him and pull him into an embrace. I put my head on his shoulder and let out one more sob. How did I get so lucky? No matter what results come back, I have a man that will love me unconditionally.