11 | SECRETS

CHAPTER ELEVEN — SECRETS

IF THERE WAS ONE PERSON NALA CARED ABOUT MORE THAN ANYONE, IT WAS DEREK HALE

Aside from her aunt, Derek was her best friend, her confidant, the only person that truly knew every part of her, all her secrets, her hopes, her dreams. He was always there for her, and in turn, she was always there for him.

Even if that meant exposing herself to her new friends and possibly hurting herself in the process. Nala would do anything for Derek Hale. She would die for him if she had to. But she didn't know if her dying would save him.

        "Look, I don't know if I can be here when you do it." Stiles breathed, his entire body quivering.

        "Do what?" Nala snapped, looking up from where her face was buried in her hands.

        "You know, the whole cutting off his arm thing."

        "I'm not cutting off his arm." Nala said running her fingers across Derek's uninjured arm in an attempt to calm him down.

        "Wha- so you're just going to let him die?" Stiles' eyes widened, leaning in to Nala, who rolled her eyes at the boy.

        "He's not going to die. I won't let him." Nala took Derek's hand in her own, and he gave it a small squeeze, taking in a sharo breath as pain travelled up his arm.

        Before Stiles could ask what she meant, Derek doubled over, vomiting a black substance on the floor.

        "I'm not letting you die for me Nala, you have to cut off my arm." Derek growled, grabbing the mechanical saw.

        "If I do, you could still die, Derek! I can't let you die." Nala yelled, tears threatening to spill over.

        "Fine. Stiles, you do it." Derek turned to the boy, his face going even paler than before.

        "Don't do it, Stiles!" Nala yelled, glaring at Derek.

        "Do it, or I'm going to use whatever strength I have left to rip your throat out." Derek threatened, which was enough for Stiles to grab the saw, placing it just below the tourniquet that Derek had tied around his arm.

        "What the hell are you doing?" A new voice called out, and all three people in the room set out a sigh of relief. Scott had pulled through.

        Nala walked over to the boy, putting her hand out, "Give me the bullet," She commanded, and Scott knew better than to argue. He pulled the bullet out of his pocket, but, being the clumsiest person in the world, the bullet flew across the room, landing in a grate in the floor.

        "Scott!" Nala yelled, "I swear to god."

        "I'm sorry, I'm sorry!" The boy's eyes widened as he saw the anger swirling in Nala's eyes.

        Crouching down on the floor, Scott tried reaching into the grate to get the bullet, but to no avail.

        Nala whipped her body around as soon as she heard a loud crash, to see Derek on the ground, passed out, a freaking out Stiles standing above him.

         "Oh my god, Derek?" She scrambled over to him, listening out for his heartbeat.

         "Is he dead? I think he's dead." Stiles asked frantically, and Nala shook her head, hearing a slow, weak, thump, thump, thump coming from his heart.

         "Not yet, but he will be, it's almost at his heart." Nala spoke, resting a hand on Derek's chest, tears running down her face.

        "I got it!" Scott yelled, holding the bullet in the air triumphantly. Nala let out yet another sigh of relief, standing up so that she was at the table, "Stiles, wake him up." She instructed, the lanky boy nodding.

         Nala grabbed the bullet from Scott's hand, opening it to reveal the wolfsbane. She tipped it onto the table, setting the plant on fire with a lighter.

         Derek stood up next to her, thanks to Stiles' harsh punch in the face, picking up the wolfsbane with two fingers, violently pressing in into the bullet wound.

         Nala jumped back as Derek collapsed to the ground, writhing in pain as the blue veins subsided along his arm. He lay on the floor, breathing heavily, as Nala crouched down to help him up.

         "Are you okay?" Scott asked, both Nala and Derek rolling their eyes at the naïve young beta.

        "You mean despite the agonising pain?" Derek chided, making Nala chuckle under her breath.

          "Well, I guess the use of sarcasm is a sign of good health." Stiles said, glaring at both Derek and Nala.

         "Stiles, can I talk to you? In private?" Nala asked, looking guiltily at her friend, who nodded reluctantly, leading her outside into the reception room of the Vet.

         "I'm sorry I didn't tell you. I just, I wanted to seem normal. I never really had any close friends other than Lydia and Derek, I didn't want to lose you guys. I just thought if you didn't know, you might be safer. But I guess I was wrong. Everyone always seems to end up hating me." Nala looked at the ground, her eyes beginning to water once again.

        "Look, I could never hate you. Am I mad that you kept something this big from me? Yes. Do I blame you? No. I get it. You'll always have me as a friend, okay? God, I've liked you since like, the second grade!" Nala looked up at him, smiling at the tall boy.

        "Do you still? Like me, I mean?" Nala cocked her head to the side, Stiles beginning to stutter, his eyes widening.

        "Well, I, uh, you see, I mean–" Stiles's seemingly endless stammering was cut off by Nala reaching her hand to the nape of his neck, pressing her lips against his, to which Stiles' eyes widened, before he began to relax, closing his eyes and kissing her back.

        Nala smiled into the kiss, moving her body as close to Stiles as she possibly could, before the two reluctantly pulled back, looking each other in the eyes.

        "I like you too, Stiles."

[unedited]