sixty six

"You are where you do not belong."

***

***

Pulling up to Hilltop and looking at the abandoned fields and hearing nothing but the sound of our horses was not what I was expecting. The last time that I was here—was quite a long time ago, might I add—it was full of life and laughter.

I stayed silent, Oliver obliviously trekking alongside Michonne and Siddiq, who was most likely thinking the same thing I was. This place looked empty.

We pulled to a halt in front of the wooden walls, and Diane appeared from the lookout, a bow in hand.

"State your business," she demanded, a stone-cold look on her face.

"We're here for Rosita," Michonne said without hesitation.

"We met your messengers on the road. They told us what happened," Siddiq added.

"And the others?" Dianne inquired, studying the group of five who were looking for a home.

"They're good people looking for a home. I told them Hilltop would consider taking them in," Michonne told Dianne.

Dianne shifted, waiting for us to disarm ourselves, I was guessing. I dropped my bow and arrow, gun, and knives on the ground and looked back up, Dianne sending us a nod.

We dismounted and finally walked inside, seeing how Hilltop was thriving. Tara, Enid and Alden greeted us.

"Where's Jesus?" was Michonne's first question. I couldn't help but smile, looking at how Enid had grown. She hadn't seemed to notice me yet.

"Out with the search party looking for Eugene," Tara said, sending me a warm smile. Just because Michonne wasn't on good terms with them didn't mean I couldn't be.

"Eugene's missing? Since when?" Michonne seemed surprised, as did I. I was expecting him to have come with Rosita.

"I dunno. Thought you would. He went out with Rosita but wasn't with her when we found her," Tara explained.

"How is she?" Siddiq jumped in, asking Enid who had taken on the doctor role.

"She was unconscious when she got here, but she'll be fine. It's dehydration and heat exhaustion, mainly. She should wake up soon," Enid skillfully updated us, and I gave her a proud smile.

"If she's been out the entire time, how do you know Eugene was with her?" Michonne asked.

"Aaron told us," Tara shrugged.

"Aaron's here?" Michonne nearly yelled. She was not happy that Aaron had been taking trips back and forth.

"No, he's with Jesus and Daryl. Daryl came down from his mountain with Carol and Henry. It's like the old gang's back together," Tara almost smiled, and I nearly fell overhearing that Daryl had been here.