Chapter One

The best way to start my story off as just a normal teenager, or the normal that I have come to known. I have friends and participate in school activities, but out of all of those, mt favorite thing is when I hang out with my best friend. I've been best friends with Jacob Black ever since I moved to La Push, years ago, when I was just five years old. I can't belive how times have flied, and that my sixteenth birthday is just a week a way.

I don't remember much of where I use to live before moving to the reservation, maybe because I've lived on the reservation with my mom and my grandmother for so long, it's what I come to call my gome. My mother and I moved here to stay with my grandparents when my dad had passed away. It was something that we had planned to do as a family, to help take care of my grandfather when he became ill, it was just rushed after the accident. It wasn't until I was seven when my grandfather had finally passed away. That had left just us girls, my mom had to get a second job to keep us going. My grandmother had even got a small part time job to help out, even though she wasn't suppose to be working, with her own health issues. There has just been way to many bills for the hospital and to keep the house going for her not to help. I've even been trying to get a job, when I got old enough, but it's hard since I'm not sixteen yet. Most places are strict to that rule, and I know I'm only going to try harder when I finally turn sixteen. I know deep down that my mom doesn't want me to get a job, and enjoy my time in high school, to not rush growing up, but I don't see how a small part time job would hurt anything.

Out of all the madness of growning up, and the hardship that seemed to cursemy family, Jacob has been there by my side the whole time. That's why he was my beet friend and I trusted him with my life. When my grandfather past, he never left my side, even though I was still young, even though we wete both so young, we understood death. He only knew how to handle things becuase of his own mother passing. It was nice to have him there when I needed him, then and throughout growing up.

"Maddy!" I heard my mom call after me, breaking myself out of my train of thought. I had been up in my room trying to work on my homework, but I easily became distracted.

She should be going to work soon, I don't know why she would be calling me. I had gotten all my chores done, so I know that I wasn't going to get yelled out. Unless she just wanted to say good night, something she did only when she worked a double shift and knew she wouldn't be back by the time I woild be in bed. I remember when I was younger, she would always kiss the top of my head before she left, and let me know how much she loved me. It was still sweet now when she would do it every blue moon.

"Coming!" I yelled back at her, dropping my pen before standing up and getting in a quick stretch.

I walked out of my room and then ran down the stairs, thw floor cold to my bare feet. I turned down the small hall and walked into the kitchen, where my mom always is, when she's not at work or asleep. When I walked in there I saw, I noticed that there was a unexpected guest. My grandmother sat at her normal spot at the table with her glass of tea, my mother stood at the islandin her work uniform, and Billy Black sitting at the open spot at the table next to my grandma.

"Hello Billy." I greeted with a soft smile as I walked in, knowing not to be rude to a guest. Even though he was a close family friend, ever since we had moved there. There were some times were I stayed at his house more than I did my own.

"Hello Maddy." He said to me, giving me a light smile over his shoulder, befuase he gave his attention back at my mom, continuing their conversation. "I'd better get going, I need to preparefor the council meeting. Thank you again for the coffee." He said and my mother nodded her head, giving off a small smile.

"You know that you're always welcome, next time I'll try and have my famous pie made up to go with the drink." She smiled at him before going to the doro with him.

Billy easily made it around the house, and we already had a ramp, because of my grandfather. He was in a wheelchair before he died, and I guess we never really changed things around. I can still remember when he passed, judt like it was yesterday. It was hard on all off us, mostly my grandmother, which was expected since they had been married for so many years. She was broken hearted when he past, they had been high school sweethearts, and married soon after high school. My mother never seemed to leave her side, scared thst she could die of a broken heart. When I was little, I never reslly believed that could actually happen, and I was shocked to learn that it was true.

"What was that about?" I asked once I shut the door, after Billy was halfway down the ramp. I don't know why i had waited, it wasn't like he could hear me to begin with.

"Have you seen Jacob lately?" My mother asked me, turning to take her spot back at the island. I looked at her in confusion, my eyes narrowed. I lightly shook my head, becuase thing was something that she should have known.

"No, I haven't, not since he had got mono." I told her starting to get worried. "Has he gotten himself into trouble? He's been driving his bike without lights." I know that he was getting better, but I know him, he wouldn't wait until he was feeling one hundred percent better before getting back to his normal routine.

"You haven't seen him?" She left out a sigh and let out a nervous laugh, a bad habit that I had picked up. "Billy said he apparently ran away, or that's how he sees it.. Once he wasn't sick, he was gone. I believe that he was just tired of being stuck in the house." She made sure to add in her comment, as she watched me closely, to see my reaction. "Billy was hoping you have seen him, becuase he believes that it's time he came home."

I just stared at her blankly, trying to process everything. How could I not know that he had done this? What type of best friend does that make me?

"No." I stated as I shook my head, clearly in denial. "Jacob wouldn't do that." Without warning I turned and  ran back to my room.

Things seemed to get blurry as I ran to grab my phone and quickly dial his number. It wasn't even a few seconds after that it  went straight to voicemail. I was no longer worried, I was scared, maybe I was down right terrified. I was scared out of my mind, he's my best friend, I don't know what I would do without him.

He's been with me through everything. I don't know why he wouldn't come to me, for anything, nothinghas ever stopped him before. He knows that I can help him, even if he thinks it's stupid. He knows that if he needed a shoulder to cry on, he had me. He let me cry on his shoulder whenever I needed. Why wouldn't I do the same?

I tried again to call him, over and over, like it was going to make a difference. His phone was dead, or he had willingly  shut it off. I don't understand why it would be off, it was completely against his character.

"Hey, it's Jacob. You know what to do." There was the sound of his voice, but it wasn't him, it was only a recording. The beep echoed in my ear once again and I let out a shaky sigh. I felt like o was on her verge of tears, but I held myself together.

"Jacob, I just saw your dad. Will you please call me." I took in a small breath to steady myself. "I'm worried." I hung up the phone and placed it in my pocket. If he wanted to play hookie, I was going to play detective and find him.