Chapter Thirty One

Word Count: 1600

~Jada

I couldn't get to Axel from here.

Everyone crowded around him, asking him where he has been. He must be fairly popular if everyone is so interested in where he has been. Of course, they refer to him as Blue, the name he has gone by thus far as a Silent. It reminds me to keep my mouth shut on what I know and others don't.

So without anyone noticing me, I back away from the group and slink back to my tent. When I glance over my shoulder Kael is watching me, but luckily he doesn't question it, most likely assuming I'm just tired.

As I zip up my tent and crawl under my blankets, I plot my plan within my head. There is no way I'm sleeping through the night without finding out where Axel has been.

So I wait.

With time, I can hear everyone else getting into their tents, conversations outside starting to cease. When all is quiet, I slowly sneak out, the grass slick with dew wetting my hands and knees before I get to my feet.

Looking around the campsite, I see an unfamiliar tent that must belong to Axel. I stride toward it, unsure of what my plan consists of past this. All I know is that there is much more to Axel's story than he has told me. If he's here for me, I need to know the full story, and why he has dedicated his life to this.

Stopping outside the tent entrance, I cough quietly under my breath. It's enough for him to hear but no one else close.

He doesn't leave his tent until I've stepped away.

I'm by the edge of the trees when he catches sight of me. He is still dressed in the clothes he showed up in today, which just consist of his usual tunic and pants and jacket. Perhaps he knew I wanted to talk to him tonight.

He follows me into the forest, right onto the path Kael and I had walked on earlier. I only stopped and waited for him to catch up when I could be sure no one would hear us from the campsite. The only sounds around here are insects chirping and the river rushing past the rocks.

Axel saunters over, coming to stop in front of me. "I figured you would call."

"Don't flatter yourself," I mutter, rolling my eyes comically at him. "You can't expect to reveal all the information to me that you have and leave again without me wanting to know what is going on."

Blue shrugs loosely, shoving his hands in his pants. "I apologise about disappearing. Unfortunately, I'm a Silent at the end of the day, and Kael had business I needed to attend to. If I could have been by your side this entire time, I would have. I want to explain this to you as much as you want to know."

"Regardless, are you going to tell me what's going on?" I question. "Last time we tried to talk about the past we were interrupted."

Blue nods, motioning down a patch of grass right by the river. He pulls his jacket off and lays it down for us to both sit on next to each other. I do so tentatively, unsure of what Axel is going to reveal to me.

"What do you want to know?"

What don't I want to know. From what I can remember about Axel, he was a very outgoing boy who I thought of as a cooler older brother. He was always so impressive and skillful. No wonder he is a Silent now. However, I can't remember him paying me much attention at all. In fact, I assumed my childishness at that time bothered him.

"I want to know why you decided to dedicate your entire life to trying to help me," I decide to ask. He could have an incredible life right now. "What is your objective anyway. I wouldn't consider myself safe here."