Chapter Seventeen

Word Count: 1548

~Brielle

Everyone reacted immediately.

Lila backed off into the bedroom, Mabel slid into the closet and I didn't see what the other two girls did as I quickly dashed behind a long curtain, wrapping it around my body, pressing myself against the wall. Oddly enough, there's no window here, meaning this curtain is clearly here for decoration.

As everyone settled into their spot, the sound of heavy footsteps coming down the stairs had my heartrate accelerating to almost an unhealthy rate. Clinging to the curtain, I close my eyes and pray whoever is walking down here doesn't feel the need to draw their curtains.

I'm not sure where everyone else hid, but there is no way we are getting out of this without getting caught. I knew this was a bad idea, and now we are all stuck in it.

We're dead.

Their footsteps reach the bottom level where we all hide, wandering around until I hear someone sit down on a couch. Did one of the girls hide behind there? I'm not sure, and suddenly I can't remember. Either way, no commotion seems to ensue as they go quiet and no more can be heard from them.

Curiosity builds within me as time ticks on. Are they still there? If not, this could be our chance to make a run for it. Whoever this room belongs to, they must be suspicious with the unlocked door. I can only pray they don't start looking around.

With slow precision, I gently pull back a small part of the curtain. Enough for just one of my eyes to see past.

It's Ren.

When I see him I quickly cover back up again. I should have known, yet it seems so strange for him to be occupying a small room in the bottom of his manor when he has such a lavish suite upstairs. Everyone assumes he prefers seclusions, however, I didn't know it was this bad.

Not being able to help myself, I pull the curtain back again for another look. It's definitely Ren, however, like last time, the moment I look at him a cold chill crawls down my back. Something about him is different.

He is sitting on the couch, back leant against the backrest, head hanging over it. He is shirtless too, sprawled out with his arms wide. I'm not quite sure what he is doing, however, it has sparked my curiosity. There's something that isn't right with him and I can't figure it out.

His hair is beyond messy, falling everywhere as he leans back. The fact that he is shirtless is only slightly confusing. It feels wrong to be looking.

But I can't help it.

All of a sudden he leans forward, and conceal myself with the curtain again. When I peek back around, he has his head in his hands, muttering under his breath. I can't quite hear it, but it seems awfully ominous, raising hairs on the back of my neck. Swallowing uncomfortably, I hide back in the curtains to wait till he leaves.

I can only hope the other girls can hide until it's safe to leave. I'm not sure where Esme and the other girl hid, but so far, it doesn't seem as though the Alpha has any idea that he isn't alone in this room.

When the door opens again from upstairs, a moment of relief consumed me. He is leaving, and we can finally get out of here.

That is, until I hear soft footsteps patter down.

I can't help myself. Pulling the curtain back again, only slightly, I watch a petite figure come into the room. It's a girl, maybe around our age. She looks familiar, which means she works here and I've happened to see her at one point. Her hair is soft and blonde, like mine, however hers is cut short to her shoulders. Her eyes are large and blue, her smile shaped by rosy lips. Her name isn't coming to me.