Chapter 26

Monday was known to be the most exhausting day for most workers, and this was not different on Emery's part

Her head ached from the lack of sleep but she forced herself to stay awake—just so she wouldn't incur Dean's wrath. No one knew what had gotten Dean edgy since morning, but Emery was not about to find out.

Emery rubbed her eyes again as she scrutinized the figures she had typed before pressing on the enter button. She woke up with a blurry sight this morning but had no time to look for her long-abandoned contacts, so here she was with her red eyes.

Part of her wanted to acknowledge the fact that her blurry vision could be as a result of her head being banged against a door, but that thought alone sets her on edge so she brushed it aside.

"Miss Hamilton, to my office right now," Dean called over the intercom.

"What does he want now?" Emery groaned and dragged her tired self into Dean's office.

"You called for me, sir?" Emery asked from the doorway.

"Where did you keep the files I gave you during our last meeting?" Dean asked with his sole gaze on his laptop.

"On the top shelf like you said, sir." Emery went over to the said cabinets at the far end of his office.

She leafed through the upper drawers and when she found the said file, she pulled it out of the lot. Barely had she moved than her elbow knocking another cabinet open.

"Dammit," Emery cussed under her breath.

"Here, sir." she placed the file on Dean's desk and went back to clean her mess.

Emery picked up the fallen file which actually had the looks of a diary and straightened up to stash it back into the drawer but a picture slipped out of the diary. Unconsciously, she looked over at Dean and when she saw that the coast was clear, she flipped the picture over.

It was a picture of Dean and a young girl. A girl way younger than him if their physical features were anything to go by. It didn't take Emery much to know the girl was Dean's lover from their handsy post.

That wasn't what bothered Emery though. It was the familiar face of the girl that struck a memory. Emery's heart grew wary as she forced her brain into recollection. Wait a minute. Same hazel eyes. Same shade of brown hair and that smile.

It was Billion's sister. She looked older here though, probably seventeen or eighteen.

Am I missing something here?

"Is everything OK back there?" Dean inquired.

"Yes sir," Emery stashed the picture into the diary and placed it into the cabinet.

"Will that be all, sir-" the door opened on them and a fuming Annabel strode in.

"How dare you do this to me!"