Chapter 36

Shardul was waiting for me by the door when I exited the dungeon. He closed his mouth when I shot him a look and looked down, showing his neck.

"He doesn't want you killed," I said, and he looked at me. I nodded my head in confirmation when I saw his questioning look. "He told me that he doesn't want you killed."

"You remember?" he asked, and I shrugged.

"You have no idea what she meant to me, to Marcus." I shook my head, disappointed. "I can't change the past, and I am not going to kill you." I raised my hand, stopping him from talking. "However, that threat still stands, Shardul. I hope you know it. Turn your back on the other clans and me; then, no promise will keep you alive."

Shardul bristled and narrowed his eyes. He stood taller and tried to make me submit, tried to get me to quake in fear. He wanted to show his power over me, which didn't impress me at all.

I bared my teeth and narrowed my eyes. I stood taller, and I knew that I dominated in power as I watched him fight before starting to submit to me. "I am an equal, Shardul," I warned. "I am not someone to be pushed around."

He sighed and nodded his head. "I know," he said, moving a hand across his face. He was tired, and I knew that he was going to need to rest. He bowed his head, and I felt smug. "My apologies, Almair."

"Apologies accepted," I replied. "I will find your daughter," I promised. "But you have to trust me."

He nodded his head. "What about Marcus?" he asked, changing the subject. He didn't trust me. He didn't know why I would trust Snakestons when they could kill me with one word from their boss.

"Let him out and set some guards around him," I said, a plan instantly forming in my mind. I had no idea if it would work, but I had to try. It was the only way that I could be certain that his daughter would be alive and well. "Tygra, if you can."

Shardul scowled and narrowed his eyes. "Why?" he asked, and I shook my head.

"It's on a need to know basis, and you don't need to know anything right now with all due respect."

"He took my daughter away from me, and you want me to let him go free?" he snapped. "How stupid can you be?"

I growled a warning and narrowed my eyes. Anger filled my body, and all I wanted to do was drop kick this male onto the floor before leaving. "It is your fault, Shardul. Not mine. Yours, because you did not do the one thing that I told you to do."

Shardul set his jaw and looked down. He did not say a word, but I knew that he knew that I was right. He should have taken them away from Marcus when I had said something, if not before.

"Take them out of that house, Shardul, and set him in there. Have guards around the house and Tygra in there with him." I held my hand, silencing him. "She will be able to handle him."

Shardul set his jaw and nodded his head. "What else, Almair?" he asked, and I shrugged.

"Dunno," I replied. "I'll be in contact with you. Let me know if you find any leads. Don't let anyone follow them without me present. We don't want them to get killed, now do we?"

Shardul stayed silent but shook his head no.

"I'll call you if I find anything." I started to make my way towards the door and stopped with my hand on the handle. "I will find her," I said, not looking at him. "Don't doubt me on that."

"I won't," he promised.

I nodded my head and left, not saying another word. I had a job to do and didn't have that much time to do it. I had no idea where Bethany was, but I was going to find her no matter what.

Hang in there, Kid, I thought, closing the door behind me. Help is on the way.