Stay with Me

“Are you alright?” a man's voice questioned from overhead.

Shiara couldn't believe that someone had addressed her. She slowly opened her eyes, unaware of how much time had passed and whether her attackers were still nearby. What she had noticed – as she came from the brink of unconsciousness – was her body aching and throbbing. She wanted to cry even more now for surviving the assault and the amount of pain she was left to endure in its wake. Her eyes rolled around in her head, never lasting long in one spot. The faint twinkle of stars above, the tops of the trees swaying in the breeze, all blurred together through her burning tears. Bright light began to engulf her. It was calming and terrifying, warm and a cause for alarm. Shiara was paralyzed in it. She didn't know what to do or if any of this was real.

It's a dream. It has to be a dream.

Shiara didn't speak. She was too weak to motion for help. Her senses were a haze that blurred, focused, and became distorted as she tried to focus on the shadowy figure moving towards her. She struggled to lift her hand; it was impossibly heavy for such a meek appendage. She heard the rattle of metal approaching her. It stopped beside her. She felt the earth shake as the shape fell to its knees. She felt a something cold and metallic grasp her hand; followed by another helping to prop her up. Her head spun. The world seemed to have a rotation all its own.

“What's your name, little one? What are you doing out here at night?” he asked. His voice was gentle and sounded of genuine concern.

“Shiara,” she whispered with a hoarse gravel.

Her throat burned from the large lump forming to block off the sobs she felt building. She felt herself unable to breathe again. Panic began to overtake her. She had given the man his name and felt exposed now. Everyone knew who she was or so she thought. She started to tremble from the cold. The feel of icy steel sapped what little warm she'd had left. The articulations of his knee dug into her spine and left her wont of something beyond the artificial feeling of the armor's cold unforgiving nature.

She heard a horse snort nearby and drew her thoughts away from her predicament and towards the beast that tapped at the road. She tried to smile at the dappled horse. A slow drizzle hit the top of her sore head. She looked up at the man. She'd seen this armor several times on her pilgrimage. It was that of the Legion. They tended to patrol the roads and she had always given them a wide berth. It was for her safety as much as theirs. But now she was resting upon one and the mere idea had made her fearful. It wasn't the position she wanted to be in.

“We should get you checked out by one of the temple priestesses,” he insisted.

Shiara's eyes grew wide with terror. Her breathing quickened. She had no intention of going back to any town so soon after being violently attacked. She watched him frown and look around in the darkness. The torchlight flickered violently in the growing wind and made his frown seem more intense.

The rain intensified and for the first time, Shiara was truly grateful for it. The torch was snuffed as the hard rumbles of thunder rippled through the air. She would have rather died of pneumonia than be imprisoned in the temple of some city where she wasn't wanted.

“Delphae, please help me save this child,” he murmured in prayer.

The two looked at each other. No one had prayed to save her from anything. The idea was strange for her. She examined his face. He appeared truly concerned and frustrated that she was being resistant to his aid.

“Please, don't,” Shiara sulked.

Don't waste your breath.

“It'll be alright now,” he assured her.