Chapter 39

Harry pov
"Good Morning, we have an appointment with Doctor Moens," I said to the blue haired receptionist who looked back at me with confused brown eyes.
"It's Saturday, there aren't appointments and this is the ER we don't even do appointments here," the woman said quite rudely.
"Everything okay, babe?" Kate who was behind me in her wheelchair asked. I turned around and smiled.
"Of course, just some confusion." I don't want to give Kate more stress because she's already so nervous and her knowing this very unkind person doesn't know of anything won't help. I turn back to the receptionist who was already back to looking at her computer screen.
I cleared my throat and leaned against the bright orange reception desk.
"Look Miss, Doctor Moens made this appointment himself. He would see us today because he is on call and he said for us to sign in here so that you could call him," I explain. The receptionist rolled her eyes before she looked up. I hope not everyone who works here is like this.
"Look Mister, you can say what you want, but I can't find anything on my computer of this so called arrangement."
Now I was starting to get annoyed, but before I could say anything I got interrupted by a male nurse who overheard our conversation.

"Tineke, it's right in front of you. The yellow paper." I looked gratefully at the male nurse who now was right behind the receptionist.
"Oh yes I see it now," the woman mumbled without looking at me or excusing her behaviour. She took the phone and called someone who I think was the doctor.

I turned around to kiss Kate's lips.
"She looks like a real ray of sunshine," she giggled. I rolled my eyes and turned around to see the male nurse coming around the reception desk to us. Tineke was already back to whatever there was on her computer screen.

"Please come with me. I'll take you to the doctor," the male nurse announced before he started walking. We followed the man through the hallway, with me pushing Kate's wheelchair.
"I'm sorry about my colleague, she isn't always professional," our guide suddenly said.

I smiled at the man, surprised and grateful for the apology, even if it was the wrong person who apologized.
"No problem, we all have days like that and in every hospital there are people who don't do their job with passion." We walked on endlessly, in what felt like a maze of long hallways with blue door after blue door and not a person to be seen.
Suddenly, the nurse stopped and looked at a blue door with a bronze plaque, "Professor, Doctor Moens," was written on it. Nerves bubbled up inside my belly. This was it. Soon we'd know if this doctor would be able to do something for my girl.

"So this is it, the Professor is expecting you. Good luck," our guide smiled and winked at Kate before he turned around and walked away.

I rub my clammy hands on my grey, loose fitted pants and take a breath to calm my own nerves before I turn around to Kate. I kneel before the wheelchair and take her hands.
"Baby, it will be okay. It's just a conversation and maybe he will examine you. There won't be any procedures. I'll be here, by your side the whole time and if you want to go at any point just tell me and we'll go. Okay beautiful?" Kate gives me a tight lipped smile and nods.
"You are so brave and I love you so much." I give her a quick kiss on the lips before I turn around and knock on the door.

Kate pov
A tiny, male nurse with glassy, blue eyes and messed up brown hair, is guiding us through the halls of the hospital. I definitely won't remember how to walk out later because I'm too distracted with my thoughts. I hate going to see new doctors. They either give me false hope or they disappoint me and act like it's nothing, but I'm the one who has to deal with it time after time. I feel nauseous and I'm sweating like a pig. I seriously feel like I just got out of a shower and even my hair feels damp. It's so embarrassing.

Suddenly, we stop at a blue door. The nurse says goodbye with a smile and a wink. I look up at Harry and he has his eyes closed. I wonder if he's nervous too. Before I can give it more thought, Harry kneels in front of me and takes my hands.
"Baby, it will be okay. It's just a conversation and maybe he will examine you. There won't be any procedures. I'll be here, by your side the whole time and if you want to go at any point just tell me and we'l go. Okay beautiful?"