The Dance

As we arrived at school, Dana climbed out in her princess pink gown. Her date, Dean, described her as 'damn gorgeous'. He was right. Dana was so short, but she didn't like heels, so she went for ballet flats. I loved heels, so I managed not to step on my dress as I got out.

When I walked in the school gym, it felt as if my whole mood shifted. The whole day I was so stressed, and now I'm relaxed. I don't know what was, the whole gym was decorated with fairy dust and 3D dragons hanging from the ceiling and everything. It was breathtaking, and reminded me of the Aeriz kids.

But before I could check if they were there, Jesse came in jeans and a black shirt. It did show off his muscles, but all of the other guys were in tuxes. It was second hand tuxes, but at least still tuxes.

I heard whispers when he took my arm, like 'what is he wearing' and 'beauty and the beast', but I didn't really care.

I don't like Jesse, he's still such a baby. But he asked so nice it looked as if he would have cried if I said no.

He led me right to the middle of the dance floor, and it was quite uncomfortable because he never stopped staring.

And, oh boy, believe me, he wasn't the only one.

Halfway through the night, when a rather slow and romantic song came and all the senior couples were, well, let's say behaving like seniors, I told Jesse I wanted to get some juice.

As I did, Dana just smiled when I walked past her and Dean.

She knew that I'd rather pose naked on the front of Cosmopolitan than let Jesse's face get anywhere near mine.

There were a lot of hi's and wazzup's from boys at the juice section, but I had one thing on my mind: Aeriz's.

I scanned everywhere, but no sign.

I picked the green juice, because I liked it to match.

The DG spoke on the microphone as I poured.

"And now, the king and queen of the ball will be announced! I ask you to clap-"

'Eliza!'

I turned around. The voice sounded unfamiliar.

Someone called me, right? But everybody has gone to the crowning...

I shook my head and poured further.

"And the king of this event is-"

Instantly, I was pulled back and thrown into the ladies room. I heard a door shut in front of me. There was a clicking noise, and it went dark.

Everything happened so fast, I stood there a few seconds to regain consciousness.

The DG's voice was faded, as if I was light years away from where I was seconds ago. I breathed in and out for a few seconds, but it felt like hours to me. As soon as I thought I was ready to be shot or something, I broke the silence.

"Someone... turn on the lights!" I shrieked, icy tears streaming down my cheeks and knees wobbling like jelly. But I knew I was alone because it was only my breathing I heard.

But then I heard a loud laugh, hanging in the air. It was just behind my ear.

I yelled so hard that my own voice was frightening me.

I was silenced by a few shushes and a hand was cupped over my mouth.

"They'll catch us, Eliza!" a voice said, so silky and perfect. It was a boy, and I immediately kept quiet.

I wanted to ask who it was so badly, but everything was still so shocking that my voice was gone.

I was trembling.