21

P A R K E R

"Are you sleeping with me tonight?" I asked Suzy from the couch, lazily stirring my mug of hot (lukewarm) cocoa with my index finger.

"I told you I was going to Collin's," she sighed, brushing some of her black hair off her shoulder.

"I don't want to sleep alone."

"Well, I don't know what to tell you," she shrugged, grabbing her reusable water bottle from the fridge and dropping it into her large purse. "I've slept with you for four nights in a row. At this point, you either need to call him or get the fuck over it."

"Can I not be heartbroken for a day?" I whined. "Can I not just have a day?"

"You've had four," she deadpanned. "You can't be sad forever. You broke up with him, remember? He's probably sad, too."

———

D O B R I K

"You've gotta get over it, man," Josh patted me on the back, as if it helped at all. "She's not worth it."

"She is, though," I rolled my eyes, sliding away from Josh to give myself room to breathe (and so I didn't feel like I had to punch him in the face). "She is so worth it. I would do anything to make her see it, but I don't fucking know how. She doesn't want to be my girlfriend, so what the fuck am I supposed to do?"

"How about edit?" Natalie commented from the floor, gesturing to my laptop sitting on the couch next to me, unused. "She doesn't want to be with you, big deal. Fuck someone else and get over it."

"You guys don't get it," I sighed, leaning back into the cushions, almost waiting for them to swallow me whole. "She's so fucking cool. I don't even know how to explain it; she's just fucking amazing. I—"

"You love her," Josh finished for me. "You can say it, David."

"I've only known her for, like, two and a half weeks," I scoffed. "I don't even think it's possible for me to love her."

"Yeah, but you've probably been with her for over a month, if you think about it," Natalie reasoned. "Regular couples don't spend every second of every day together. You're fully into a relationship, if you were a normal couple. Plus, you can't pick who you love, and when you love them."

"She's got a point..."

"Whatever," I shrugged, not really wanting to hear what they were trying to say. "Not saying I love her, but even if I do, she obviously doesn't feel the same way because she doesn't want to even try being with me."

"So why are you moping?" Josh asked, brows furrowed in confusion.

"God, can't I just be upset for one day?"

"It's been almost a week," Natalie chirped all too happily from the floor, only smiling when I sent her my best glare. "Lisen, if you're this upset, she's probably even worse. Maybe you should just call her."

"She's not," I frowned, crossing my arms over my chest. "What kind of person would say they don't want to be in a relationship and then be upset when we broke up? She'd have to be crazy. If she's really that upset, she'll come talk to me."

"Okay, then," Natalie used her foot to push the open laptop closer to me. "Edit."

———

P A R K E R

"I think I'm going to just go to his house," I said into the phone, nervously twirling my natural hair around my finger. "I mean, how bad could it go?"

"Genevieve, I literally have fingers in my vagina as we speak," she half laughed into the phone. I didn't really care about that, but apparently, she did. "Can we just speed this conversation up? I think you should go."

"What if I show up and he laughs in my face?" I asked. It was a valid point, but it didn't seem to stump her like it stumped me.

"Dropkick him," she told me, then added a quieter, "can you curl your fingers a little b—yes, perfect!"

"So you think I should go?" I questioned for confirmation, even though I knew the answer. I wouldn't do it myself, so I needed someone to tell me to.

"Yes, Genevieve, go," she sighed. "Listen, I know you pay my bills and I should be paying you back in emotional support... but please don't call me again, okay? We'll talk about it in the morning. Bye."

She hung up before I could ask another question.

———

D O B R I K

"Have you been up all night?" Carly asked, head tilted in confusion.

"Yeah, you look like you got beat up. You need to go to sleep," Erin added, just a tinge of sarcasm that didn't make me feel any better. "Zane and Heath are coming later, and they will tear you to pieces for looking this fucked over losing some girl."

"She's not just some girl," I rolled my eyes at their dismissive statements. "You guys just don't get it. And I was editing half the night, so I just decided to stay up."

"Mhm," Carly nodded like she didn't quite believe me. "You know, if you needed someone to sleep in your bed so you don't have to sleep alone, I'm sure Corinna or Natalie or Liza would do it. I would even do it, after I talk to Bruce obviously. It's okay if you don't want to sleep alone."

"I'm fine sleeping alone," I grumbled out the lie, knowing I couldn't look them in the eyes to do so.

It was crazy. I had been fine sleeping alone in the last ten months since Liza and I broke up, but as soon as Genevieve and I did... it was over. Maybe it was because she was good company or because she was always warm or because she would laugh at random times of night like music to my ears, but I couldn't get over it. Sleeping in a bed, cold, lonely bed by myself was ruining my life.

"Okay, David," Erin sighed, plopping onto the couch next to me. "You better work on that lie, because Zane and Heath will be here any minute and that won't fly with them."

———

P A R K E R

I heard a key twist in the lock and in came Suzy, with a brand new, sweaty ponytail and no bra. She frowned when she saw me and asked, "Have you slept at all? It's eight in the morning."

"Uh," I laughed because that's all I could do, slurping down some of the coffee I made to make myself feel better. "No, I guess not."

"Well, did you go to David's?"

"No," I told her honestly. "I couldn't do it."

"So you sat here all night... and did what exactly?"

"Um... just thought. I just sat here and thought."

"Okay, baby, here's what we're going to do," she smiled comfortingly, sitting down next to me to wrap her arm around my shoulders. She began to soothingly rub her hand up and down my arm as she continued, "I'm going to go take a shower, and when I'm done, we're going to sleep. Tomorrow, after we wake up, I will drive you to David's. Okay? Does that sound okay?"

I nodded, unable to find the words to say that would make sense.

"Okay, great," she kissed my cheek and stood, once again leaving me alone on the couch. "I'll meet you in the bedroom."

okayyyy so i tried something new for this chapter i have never written from davids POV before if im trying to do davids pov i ALWAYS do third person bc its easier but oh well i tried. anyways this is just... me trying to show that theyre both hurting and theyre both thinking the same thing but because they have no communication rn they both cant just say it (out louddddddddddddd drowning in silence when im lost in the crowd)

please vote and comment and follow me if u liked this chapter!!! im so close to 600 followers eeeeeeek!!!!! autoskd <333 xoxo abby