Chapter 27

Thursday during lunch Rose sat next to Ron, and Hermione and Harry sat opposite them. She could hear Pansy Parkinson asking Draco about his arm and Draco making up a big lie. Rose rolled her eyes as she looked down at her book in front of her.

She was reading through her Defence Against the Dark Arts book, she was curious about what they would learn about, especially with Professor Lupin. Lunch ended and they made their way towards the DADA classroom. Professor Lupin wasn't there yet.

Rose took a seat behind Harry and Hermione, she took out her books, Parchments and Quill just as the rest of the students did.

"Good afternoon." Professor Lupin's voice came from behind them. "Would you please put all your books back in your bags. Today will be a practical lesson and you will need only your wand." Lupin says. Rose puts all her things in her bag except for her wand.

"Right then, if you will follow me." Professor Lupin says and started to walk out, the rest of the class stood up and followed him. He led them down the corridor and around the corner where they saw Peeves the Poltergeist floating upside down in mid-air and stuffing the nearest keyhole with chewing gum. Rose watched in interest as Peeves turned around to look at Lupin and then he started singing a son.

"Loony, loopy Lupin." Peeves repeated over and over. Rose looked towards Professor Lupin, but instead of an irritated look, she found him smiling at Peeves.

They continued walking and Professor Lupin stopped in front of the staff room. "Inside please." He said and opened the door. Upon entering Rose saw Professor Snape sitting in an armchair. Professor Lupin entered and started to close the door. "Leave it open, Lupin. I'd rather not witness this." He stood up and walked to the door before turning around again, "Possibly no one's warned you Lupin, but this class contains Neville Longbottom. I would advise you not to entrust him with anything difficult. Not unless Miss Granger is hissing instructions in his ear." Snape said. Rose could see Neville turning red and Harry glaring at Snape.

"I was hoping that Neville would assist me with the first stage of the operation, and I am sure he will perform it admirably," Lupin says and Rose smiled, Snape glared then he left, shutting the door behind him.

Everyone stood still in the staff room when the closet in the room started to shake. "Who can tell me what that is?" Lupin asked.

"That is a boggart." Dean Thomas answered.

"Right. Now, what is a boggart?" Lupin asked.

"It is a shape-shifter. It can take the shape of whatever it thinks will frighten us most." Rose spoke up, causing Lupin to smile at her.

"Couldn't have put it better myself." Professor Lupin says. "So the boggarts sitting in the darkness within has not yet taken a form. He does not yet know what will frighten the person on the other side of the door. Nobody knows what a boggart looks like when he is alone, but when I let him out, he will immediately become whatever each of us most fears. This means that we have a huge advantage over the boggart before we begin. Have you spotted it, Harry?" Lupin turned towards Harry as he asked the question.