Part Fifteen

I couldn’t focus on math as I sat with my tutoring, going over the day’s homework. Truthfully, I couldn’t focus on anything. My tutor was a girl named Ariel. She was a sophomore in college and came back to tutor at the high school as a part time job. She was really nice, but very serious when it came to math, too serious for someone like me who hated the subject.

            “Are you here right now? Mentally?”

            “What?”

            I looked up at her a little dazed and confused. I did feel bad about being off in my own little world, but what else did I expect. The beautiful woman I had a huge crush on said she’d miss me. How could anything else be more important than that at the moment?

            “I was thinking that today we could get everything done before you leave since you only have a few problems, but… you don’t seem like you’re into this today.”

            I didn’t seem like I was into it that day? When was I ever into math? I sighed.

            “No. I’m sorry. Just distracted is all.”

            After that I tried my hardest to pay attention, but had no such luck. Ariel was nice enough to be patient though. I was lucky to have her as my tutor and not some of the others I’d seen since I’d been going there.

            When I got home I went straight upstairs to my room again and logged onto my computer. I don’t know why I suddenly had the thought that came into my head next, but suddenly I got very curious. I typed in the name Heather in the search bar and hit enter.

            There were unfortunately a lot of people in my area with that first name, and since I didn’t have a last name I thought it would take me forever to find her. Conveniently, she came up rather quickly, and I knew it was her from her profile picture. I clicked on her name.

            Heather Curran was her name. She was 34 years old and lived just outside of my city. I kept looking through her page, feeling just a tiny bit nosy, but there was something I wanted to know, and that was if Heather was into women. If she was, there was a possibility that Tori was as well. Since that hung out and all.

            She didn’t say what she was interested in, nor did she like anything LGBT related. The short spurt of hopefulness I had been feeling quickly diminished and I felt slightly defeated. Whatever, that doesn’t mean anything, I thought to myself. I stopped myself, realizing that I was getting my hopes up again all of a sudden. When did that start?

            I went to Heather’s wall to see if there was anything anyone said to her, but what I found was more interesting. It was a comment left by none other than Tori.

            Tori Williams: Still up for that walk tonight? I could really use it today.

            Heather hadn’t responded yet, but then, Tori posted that about a half hour earlier. I wondered briefly if it had something to do with earlier, but shook my head. Yeah right. Not likely. I was kind of jealous now though. What I wouldn’t give to go on a walk with Tori, well, outside of school that is, since I already technically had.
            That night I had a dream about walking with tori. Go figure. It was later in the day and the sun was just starting to set. A little cliché, but it was a dream. I couldn’t control it. Anyway, as I was saying, we were walking down the middle of a street with big oak trees providing shade for us, and we were walking hand in hand.