A Wannabe Assassin: Chapter 12

Chapter 12:

Walking a couple hundred meters ahead, Joey gently placed Sherene on the sand, as he went to untie the canoe. He grabbed one oar, and threw it into the boat. Then he picked Sherene up and sat her in the last seat, while he got in, took the oar, and placed himself in the front seat.

"Hold on tightly, Sherene, I'll do the oaring. You be safe, okay?" Joey said.

Tears glistened in Sherene's eyes as she saw how much Joey cared about her. She had a soft corner for him right from the beginning, when he listened to her bawl her eyes out the first meeting.

The initial sailing was uneventful. Joey was alert the whole time, in case a whirl pool suddenly sprang upon him.

Sherene almost dozed off when she felt a tiny jerk. 

The boat tilted a little to the right and left. "Joey, the whirlpool," she cried out.

Joey instantly rowed in one direction. He avoided looking at the whirlpool, in case he panicked. For five minutes, it appeared as though they were still stuck in the same place. His arms were aching, and his muscles became strained. 

Sherene tried to encourage him. She told him that he could make it, and that he had to, or else they were doomed. While that wasn't helping their situation, the whirlpool eased a bit, and in a minute, they came out of danger.

Wiping his sweat, Joey dropped the oar in the boat, and sat back to relax.

Sherene looked agitated. She looked around and tried to spot anything unusual. After thorough inspection, she relaxed and started to speak.

"We need to be on constant alert. The Tsunami can errupt anytime. I need to tell you something."

Joey got angry. "Sure as hell you do."

Sherene flinched. "It wasn't my fault. I can explain," she tried.

"That's what they all say, " Joey muttered.

"I'm not like them. I'm not a revengeful and bad person," Sherene sobbed.

"Elucidate," he said, not unkindly.

Sherene stopped crying, and took a few breaths. "It started a few years ago. Markett was just beginning his career, and all his family was tightly knit. I had just been married to Eric."

Joey's eyes widened. So this was who she was talking about, he thought.

"I know what you're thinking. That was him," Sherene sadly smiled. "Eric was a good man then. He was a loyal brother and loving husband.

Markett grew big in the industry because of Eric, and all his contacts. Two years before, Markett fell in love with a woman named Daisy, now his wife. It was love at first sight, and they got married within a month.

In the year that followed, Markett devoted his time to his wife, and ignored everyone else. Grandpa Nelly was a rich man. He died before Markett met Daisy, and as Markett was his favorite, he willed everything to him.

Now, Eric didn't mind. He was happy for Markett. That is, until that witch, Merlyn came into his life. We were a happy couple then. Things took a turn for the worse when Piella was born. 

Eric never wanted a child, and Piella was an accident. He wanted me to abort her, but I refused. He took refuge in Merlyn, who was nothing but a scheming pig. She acted all loving, sweet, and understanding, and brainwashed Eric into getting his fair share of money.

Markett had willed seventy five percent to Eric, and twenty five percent to his other family members. They were all set to execute a plan to kill Markett. But only a month ago, Merlyn and Eric found out that Markett willed everything to his wife. Now they set to kill Daisy off. 

The worst part is, Eric never divorced me, but he lives with Merlyn. I never knew of their plan until you came and saved Daisy. Now tell me, are you a spy?"

"As much as I hate to admit it, I'm not. I need to tell you something too." Joey said, looking at his hands.

"LOOK OUT," Sherene shouted.

Joey toppled off the boat, as he felt a major jerk beneath him. Sherene screamed, hollering at Joey to get back inside. Joey dipped inside the water, and came back up, struggling for air. He held on to the rim of the canoe, and hoisted himself and jumped back inside. 

"ROW BEHIND," Sherene barked.

"Jeez, can't you even ask if I'm alright?"

"No time," she snapped.

Joey grabbed the oar, and rowed backwards. He huffed and puffed till he became red. As the wave came closer, Joey felt like they were on a roller coaster ride, going upwards and up. Finally they managed to ride on top of the wave, but as they rowed ahead, Joey shouted at Sherene to hold on tight as they were going to dip the wave.

It was a gut wrenching experience as the two went down the wave like a real rollercoaster. They went into the water, and popped back up in one piece. 

Gasping for breath, Sherene did a quick prayer. Joey was merely happy to be alive.

"We did it," Sherene squealed.

Joey shook his head. He was beyond amazed that they made it in one piece.

Now, all they had to do, was sail to the shore.

x——-x