Chapter 4

CHAPTER 4/Explanations and Planning

“Siri?” I asked, bewildered as the dark-haired girl sat atop the counter, looking faintly irritated. 

“No, it’s the Dark Lord." She said snipily, rolling her eyes. "Of course it’s me. Who did you think I was, a Death Eater?"

I frowned, trying to ignore the warm feeling lighting up in my chest. “How did you get here?”

“Death Eaters found me.” She shrugged, running her fingers through her hair. “Don’t know how, but they showed up, completely uprooted me- God, they were determined little buggers." She said, glancing down at the ripped coat she was wearing, the tear shredding her sleeve. I glanced at it for a moment before looking back up to her face.

“Why did you come here?” I asked curiously, and Siri gestured to the door where Kreacher had left.

“Didn’t mean to. Kreacher got places mixed up while I was busy.” Siri sighed. She moved to slide off the counter but quickly regretted the movement, letting out a faint groan when her ankle touched the ground. I moved forward quickly, helping her back up onto the counter.

“Stupid ankle.” She muttered under her breath, her hand gripping my shoulder tightly to keep herself from falling forward. “I tripped while we were apparating- I must've sprained it or something.”

“Here.” I said, walking away once she was settled and grabbing an icepack to give to her. Siri took it gratefully, putting it on her ankle. Sighing, she leaned against the cabinets, looking exhausted. I watched her carefully with a grimace, giving her a moment to rest before I spoke again.

“What happened? Surely they must've found you somehow.” I said with a frown, and Siri took a deep breath before speaking, her shoulders lifting up in a small shrug.

“I really don’t know. I was walking along by myself when they all showed up. Didn't say anything, didn't even really look. Just spells every where."

I blinked, taken aback. "Wow."

“Eh, I’m thinking more along the lines of “Ow”." Siri hummed, making me crack a smile. She smiled back at me sheepishly, running her fingers through her hair in an attempt to smooth the wild-looking black strands. She was a sight for sore eyes most definitely.

“I’m glad you're here.” I said against better judgement. Siri glanced over at me then, expression sharp with disapproval.

“Well I’m not!” She said. When my face fell slightly she rolled her eyes, looking apologetic but firm in her words. "It just makes every goodbye harder."

"So you're just going to leave again." I said flatly, watching her. Siri frowned lightly, crossing her arms  loosely in front of herself.

“I don’t have a choice. I’ll be able to stay for a little while, but then I need to get going.” 

"Right." I said, ignoring Siri's hurt expression when the kitchen door swung open, revealing a surprised but smiling Hermione. "Siri!" She said happily, hurrying over and throwing her arms around the other girl. Siri's expression quickly brightened, and she hugged Hermione back tightly.

"Hey Hermione." Siri said warmly. Hermione pulled away from her friend with a small smile, the look of relief undisguised. 

"What are you doing here? I thought you were off on your own!"

Siri's expression turned sheepish, her smile small. "Kreacher brought me here by mistake." She admitted. Hermione seemed to find that unimportant though.