Chapter 8: Off the Chain

Author's note: This was by far the hardest chapter to finish. Thank you all for your love and support. I hope you've enjoyed this story as much as we enjoyed creating it.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

After a brief journey on foot (since Adrien had conveniently "forgotten" to ask his bodyguard to fetch them at the bakery), Adrien pushed open the gates to the Agreste mansion, eagerly escorting his brand new girlfriend next to him. He wanted to spend more time with her in private and speak with her freely, redefine the parameters of their developing relationship. What was she comfortable with Adrien and Marinette doing? What did she want Ladybug and Chat Noir to be? How would they tell their friends and family about "Them"? There was so much to discuss.

He was still somewhat in disbelief about the what had transpired over the past few days. Never in his wildest dreams could he have guessed that he'd become the happiest he'd ever been, practically overnight, thanks to a series of strange yet extremely serendipitous course of events.

"After you, my Princess," he said as he ushered her into the house, smiling shyly.

Marinette followed him into the mansion, giggling softly. Giggles that were promptly interrupted by the tall silhouette standing in the foyer.

Gabriel cleared his throat loudly, looking displeased as usual. The pair froze upon hearing him. "I thought I had instructed you to call your bodyguard whenever you needed transportation, Adrien."

Marinette gripped Adrien's hand, no doubt feeling anxious from her previous encounters with his father. Instead of recoiling and becoming withdrawn in front of his father, however, Adrien suddenly felt ten feet tall. Marinette, Ladybug, was clinging to him for courage. Now was the time to be more assertive and become the man she deserved.

Adrien straightened up his spine, rising to his full height (which at this point was almost as tall as Gabriel) and looked him in the eyes. "Sorry, Father, but the bakery isn't that far from home, and Marinette and I enjoy walking together. I didn't feel it was necessary to bother him."

Then Gabriel Agreste suddenly did something he hadn't done in years. Was it because Adrien called the mansion "home " for the first time in years instead of "the house"? Was it because Gabriel noticed the way Adrien's thumb kept stroking the side of Marinette's hand, trying to reassure her? Was it because of the way Marinette was unconsciously leaning into Adrien, their shoulders brushing against each other's and her head ever so slightly leaning toward his?

Whatever the reason, Gabriel walked down the stairs, his arms linked in his back in his usual fashion, and smiled.

"I..." Gabriel trailed off as he walked up to them. "I am proud of you, Adrien. I'm sorry if I ever made you feel otherwise. You have grown to be an exceptional young man, and I'm really glad you've found yourself a girlfriend who loves you for who you are instead of your last name. One who cares about you enough to stand up against anyone who would try to hurt you, even if that someone was me ."

Marinette and Adrien exchanged a startled glance, and Gabriel let out a low chuckle. "Don't act so shocked, Adrien. I might not be the perfect father, but I do care about you deeply. Seeing you in a relationship with a girl that has a strong head on her shoulders and who's willing to argue with me, even when she knows I could ruin her future fashion career with the snap of a finger," Adrien felt Marinette flinch, "It's all I could have ever wished for you."