Chapter 4 - Dinner With The Dunhill's

Thanks so much to strayinspace for the amazing and beautiful covers!

Dinner With The Dunhill's

"Hey, mom." I say, sliding down the staircase banister and into the lounge.

"Don't do that, Rose." She scowls. "You can get hurt."

"I won't get hurt, moms." I grin. "I want to ask you something and I need some advice."

Two days have passed since I left Asher in that supply closet and left to go sit in the green house. I've been thinking a lot lately about my relationship with Asher, and how it is very unhealthy for my mental health. After crying excessively last night, I realised that it doesn't make me feel good when I cry. It hurts my head and heart. I need something in my life that is both positive and uplifting. Something that can make me forget all about Asher and relieve me from worrying about this revenge plan he has got planned.

"Anything. What is it?" She asks, leaving her laptop to pay attention to me.

I grab a cookie from the plate resting on the coffee table before joining her on the couch. "I like a boy but he doesn't like me back. In fact, he hates me. I don't know what to do and it breaks my heart."

I decided that it is finally time to tell my mom how I feel.

"Who is this boy and where does he live? Your dad left his gun in his drawer-"

I laugh humorously at my mom's serious expression. "No mom, that's not necessary. I can understand why he wouldn't like me. I sort of seem like a stuck up at school with the teachers and stuff. He probably thinks that I'm bratty but I swear I'm not. I don't like feeling so down anymore. What do I do?"

"Sweety, all I can say is that this boy is absolutely stupid for not seeing you for you. You are not only beautiful on the outside but also the inside. You're kind, sweet, caring and so charming." She winks. I blush and look down, focusing my attention on my cookie. "And to answer your question, I don't really know if I can tell you what to do about this. Our hearts get these weird feelings sometimes for people who don't even deserve it. Believe it or not, I had a huge crush on someone else before I met your dad."

"Really? Who was he?" I ask curiously. My mom met my dad when she was 17, and gave birth to me when she was 20. They were still really young.

"Your dad hates when I mention his name." She chuckles. "All you should know is that he was the biggest jerk on the planet. He was arrogant, egotistical and downright rude. Yet I still liked him."

"How did you get over him then?"

"Simple. I met your dad." She replies, her huge smile reaching her eyes. "I forgot all about that jerk and made a life with your dad. Look now, we both have successful jobs, we have a strong marriage now for sixteen years and we have the most amazing daughter. You."

"Aw, mom." I gush. "That's really sweet."

"See? Your life isn't over because some silly boy doesn't like you back. You're almost going to college, there are plenty of great guys out there. And when you meet the right one, you'll forget all about your crush. Don't feel bad about it, honey."

I nod, deep in thought. "So I should get a boyfriend then?"

My mom chuckles. "Not necessarily what I'm saying, Rosie. But-"

"Ugh, mom you're so right." I stand up from the couch and reach forward to give her a big hug. "Your advice is always great. I'm gonna find myself a boyfriend."