- • Chapter 5.1 • -

I do not own any of the characters/settings in The Selection Series, all credits go to the amazing Keira Cass

© 2014

Very very NOT EDITED (August 12, 2014)

» Chapter 5.1 «

¤Maxon's POV¤

To say Maxon was angry would be an understatement. No. He was furious!

She hid her lover from him! And he's a palace guard!

The rest of America's conversation were over shadowed by his anger making him very very unstable and unaware of his actions. Making the situation a million times worse.

The man's face seemed familiar. Racking his brain in search for the answer Maxon realized the guard was the one he assigned to stay outside America's door. Maxon's mind did not help cool down the burning in his head as it kept conjuring up images of the man's nightly 'duties'.

A wave of fury washed over his body. Maxon had to clench his fists to hide his shaking. He never got this mad! He looked pretty intimidating. But America wasnt scared at all. In fact the total opposite.

Her eyes were so narrowed they may have been turned to slits. And the glare she was giving him made him slightly cringe on the inside. But it also made him see red.

She had no right to be angry with him right now! She must be defending her lover. God, even thinking about that man made him want to break the glass doors!

"So when were you going to tell me about your lover Mer" Maxon said coldly, barely able to control himself from shouting. And as much as he wanted to, he did not want an audience. Not to mention that his parents werent too far.

America continued to glare at him. But did not say anything. Though her eyes were pretty much saying what her mouth could not shout. Maxon did not understand what her eyes were implying though as he was busy glaring back, refusing to blink.

"Ex-lover Prince Maxon" America slowly said fron between her teeth, venom lacing her each word with an added pound of poison as she said his proper name.

Maxon could not believe her! She was defending him! Ex or not, her lover was still with her.

But what probably hurt more was that he was the one comforting her. Maxon wouldnt admit it aloud, but the clear part of his head was whispering the truths and logic in the situation. Words that pierced his heart.

He was there when you werent, was one whisper. She smiled at him, while she's glaring daggers at you right now probably wanting you dead, was another. But did Maxon take notice? No, he was too busy have a stare down.

"Ex or not..." Maxon said still glaring, only to be cut off by America

"He is my ex. And he is also the bestest friend I have. Someone I really need right now, seeing as my supposed friend could not be trusted." America practically yelled. But Maxon was still confused with her choice of words. Was she implying him?

If Maxon was a bonfire a while ago, he would be a volcano right now.

"You know the rules Mer" Maxon said as his temper was practically boiling. "Or do you want a repeat of what happened to Marlee" the words were out of Maxon's mouth before he knew what he was saying. But America's response was just as fast.

The sound of a palm hitting a cheek echoed throughout the palace but neither really cared or noticed. Maxon was too shocked by his words and the impact of America's slap, while America was fuming.

" Dont you ever talk about Marlee that way" America said, enunciating every word with so much anger and venom that it made Maxon visibly cringe. Not to mention she was practically screaming.

America ran past him, stomping away as her hair swayed back and forth.

Maxon stood frozen, not realizing they were watched.

He screwed up were the only words that pushed through his head. He screwed up big time.