Chapter Twenty-One: Nightmare

For inspiration for this chapter, I tried going up into my attic for the first time since moving into the house two years ago.  I’ve never been in an attic before and the very idea terrifies me.  I started to pull the ladder down and it was making weird noises, which instantly creeped me out.  It’s then that I realized I didn’t even know if there was a light up there.  One last, very loud noise from the ladder and I ran away.  I’ve been sufficiently terrified now.  Hopefully this’ll help me capture the fear of the nightmare in this chapter.  If not, well, then, I just terrified myself for no reason.

Valery’s POV

I’m dreaming.  I know this instantly.  Not because anything strange is happening, in fact, everything is really normal.  I just sense that this is a dream.  But why would I have a dream where I’m just sitting in my room?  Cause that’s all I’m doing.  I’m sitting on my bed staring at the wall.  Suddenly Dahvie walks in and sits next to me.

“Hey Vbee, what’s up?”  He asks.

“Nothing.  Just thinking.”  The dream me says.

“About what?”

“You.”

“What about me?”

“I love you.”  He looks at me.

“I’m sorry Val, but I don’t love you.”  He stands up and walks to the door.  A really pretty red haired girl appears and he starts kissing her.  Tears fill my eyes as pain shoots through my heart, ripping it in half.

“Asshole.”  Someone mutters.  I turn and see Connor standing next to me.

“Connor!”  I cry happily.  He reaches into his pocket and pulls out a gun.

“I hurt, Val.  I can’t stay here.”  He says, putting it to his head.  I stand up, reaching for the gun.  There’s suddenly a hand on my wrist and the whole scene changes.  Everything is completely black.  Dahvie is still there, kissing the other girl.  Connor is now impossibly far away, with his finger on the trigger.  And my father is standing next to me.

“You little bitch.  Because of you I’m stuck in prison.  You’re going to pay.”  He twists my arm behind my back.  I cry out in pain and try to pull away.  He just twists it more.

“Connor!”  I cry.  There’s a loud bang and he drops to the ground.  Then a transparent version of him stands up.  “No!  Don’t leave me!  Dahvie help him!”  Dahvie ignores me and my father shoves me to the ground.

“Shut up bitch.”  Suddenly Davey is there.  He’s transparent like Connor.  He takes Connor’s hand and they start walking away, then they just disappear.  I start crying.  My father starts beating me.  Kicking me, hitting me.  I curl up in a ball to protect myself.

“Dahvie!”  I cry.  I look around, hoping for anyone who could save me.  Jessie appears, crying, with Rusty in his arms and Andy at his side.

“Why didn’t you save him?”  Jessie asks.  Andy just looks at me with disappointment in his eyes.  He puts a hand on Jessie’s shoulder and they turn away.

“She wasn’t strong enough to save his life.  She can’t save lives.  I thought she could, but she can’t.”  He says. “She can’t even save herself.”  My father pulls me to my feet and shoves me to the ground again.  But this time there is no ground.  There’s just an empty black pit.  I scream as I fall.  My mother looks down at me from the sky and reaches a hand out.  But she isn’t fast enough to save me.  I turn over in the air and see a massive fire below me.  A large, shadowy black hand reaches up and grabs me.