Chapter Fifteen

"Scott... You really shouldn't have... It must have cost a lot"
Maya began as Scott who sat opposite, browsed through the menus.

"Hey it's no sweat... Besides you owe me" He said with a wink. It was just until then, that Maya noticed he chewed something... A gum maybe.. He chewed loudly but Maya was starting to care less about that.

Maya on the other hand, had just randomly selected a dish... There was no point going through the menu. It was in tiny prints and it caused untold pain at the corners of her head, when she tried to strain them.

They spoke about a lot and Maya began to see the good part of him... He was so funny!! What could possibly go wrong... She repeated.

He had lured her, he promised it would be just an outing to pay back for ditching him but instead it turned out to be a Romantic first date... Yep first date..

Suddenly, reality struck her... It was few minutes to her curfew. She had to head back home... She quickly informed him and set for the heels. It wasn't such an awful day after all... She concluded.

................................................

The next day at school, was just like any other... Maya couldn't just stop thinking about Daniel.. For a second, she thought he was the final piece of the puzzle and now, he likes another..

On the other hand, there was Scott... Daniel was everything but funny but that didn't matter till now. He had always been the calm, quiet, romantic kind... Definitely not funny and to be honest, she did like funny.

Daniel however made a resolve, to clear up everything and finally admit he liked her... He considered beating around the bush, a typical waste of time... He was going to finally introduce Maya to the girl he did like. The one she could see on the mirror... Simple as it seemed, words failed him...

He watched over her like a jealous angel... Stood a few distances away... Hoping she would be alone for just a minute.. But no, she was either with Tess, some other random classmate and Oh how he dreaded the last person... Scott!!

Scott had however stopped his bickering and their squabbling... It was almost impossible to notice the change. There was this one time, Daniel tripped over while they played and Scott lent a hand for support... Initially, Daniel thought it was to trip him over again but then after some seconds accepted the offer for help.... Or some other time, when Daniel had accidentally poured hot cocoa on him while at the cafe... It was an accident but some inner feeling, made Daniel happy it did happen after all not until Scott smiled and said the words...

"It's OK Dan, it was an accident... I know"

and pulled off his Sweater... No it wasn't Ok.. Since when did Scott call Daniel Dan and smile, something was definitely changing... Like they switched roles and Daniel was suddenly turning into the miscreant Scoot was...

He was far in thought and when he had successfully come back to reality... He noticed Maya wasn't were she was... She must have left while he thought.

"He got you a pearl necklace? Pff probably stole one"

"Tess don't talk about Scott that way... He's an amazing friend.."

"Friend?.. He's going to use you as a means to an end... A fatal end"

"OK... So you had rough times.. Does that mean you paint him bleak... You guys are colleagues of some sort... Shouldn't that let you see a difference in him already..."

"Yea.. Yea" Tess said sarcastically dumping a thing or two into her locker and locking it shut.

"We would have our election today for the School's Student Body President... So I gotta run... See you later"

***

"Excuse me Sir.."

"You are the substitute... Uhmm Andrew Johnson?"

"Yes it's me.. "

"Oh do have a seat... So what's the visit for? Are your teaching materials used up?" Principal Rowlings asked with a furrowed brow... It appeared each day, that the number of wrinkles increased.. His visit was as a result of the conversation he had with Maya the day before... He had advised that Maya gave some attention to Daniel and that he truly did like her... Maya had also persuaded that he explained to the Principal on the importance of music and how attention should be given to it.. Now he fidgeted.. Shouldn't have accepted it because the Principal didn't seem to concerned with the discussion..

"Music? No... That is a typical waste of time and talent.. The music band is banned from performing"

"There is a lot of talent in music if only you could see... "

"Why are you so interested in this anyways?"

"Because... Music is part of American History" Drey said sounding so defensive... It was not necessary, the principal, wasn't buying that.

Drey had so desperately wanted to come clean and induce life in the School's musical career.. But it would cost him a lot to do so..

Meanwhile, Daniel decided he had had enough... He was going to meet Maya and spell out his feelings... It was better than locking himself up but she was still never alone.

Daniel hadn't had the problem of approaching... It seemed predominant, but recently he became scared of making the first move. He didn't want to hurt her... Far away from that... He wished the news will bring her happiness and more than anything... Ease him up from this burden..

There she was... Standing with her back facing him..

Let's get this over with

She was looking for something.. A book perhaps..

"Maya" He summoned the courage to call.. Clenching his fists tighter as a means of gaining strength or confidence but she didn't hear.

"Maya!" He called again but she was too confused to notice.

Scott moved to her oblivious of Daniel's presence some feet away, and offered to help her search...

Why didn't I move closer..

It wasn't a book she sought for after all, a single key.

Daniel stood defeated.. Aware neither had seen him but most certainly birthed and fed his head that Scott had but stole the chance... He was about leaving when someone tapped him slightly from the back... He swiftly responded.

"Hey Daniel... I've missed you so much!!"

"A..bi.. "

"Yes Daniel...it's been ages"
Abigail said drawing him to a suffocating cuddle.

Three months to be exact

Just then Maya found the key, the single key opened her school locker and it had gone missing until then when she had found it inside one of her books... Apparently it slid inside.

She took off her glasses to clean off the budding sweat beneath her eyes.

Rough times using glasses.

Her gaze had diverted a bit to where the two had Reunited. She hadn't seen that Blondie before but she could tell by their fondness that they knew each other.... Scott traced the stare and the object which she so passionately stared at.. And he recognized the face almost immediately...

"Abigail" Scott said his face fell with disapproval and met back with Maya's.

"You know her?"

All Scott did was to nod in affirmation and holding her by the hands, led her out of that particular place for fear that she might become all emotional again. He knew Maya liked Daniel and she never hid it..

She always had a way of bringing him into the tiniest of their discussion and he knew that she didn't notice..

He was good with their company.. He wanted her happy and standing there wouldn't make her any happier...