Leadership...

~Love does not begin and end the way we seem to think it does. Love is a battle, love is a war; love is a growing up.~

~James A. Baldwin

Tomas was ready to answer my questions so I started bombarding him.

“First of I’d like to know how you can roam around in this place without getting burnt by the sun. I’ve noticed those windows, they are unlike anything else I’ve ever seen. They look as if surrounded by some short of magic to which I am not accustomed to.” I smiled widely waiting for his response.

“Well Abby your observation skills show what a leader you will be and I am glad to have you as my commander. This whole place is built in a way to let the light in and offer our customers the benefit of letting their gaze wander outside those windows without hurting us. Let’s say we made this restaurant with the help of a witch. Her name is Helen. I am sure you’ve met her before.

“She helped us built this, she built a home for us. But when Cup took over the leadership she had to run away and leave us. This happened due to Cup being the vampire that almost killed her one day. Helen knew there was no way she could stand up to Cup. None of us could. But this is a story of Helen to tell, not mine.” He smiled apologetically and sipped on his cup of coffee.

“Alright then. I trust Helen. Albeit there’s another matter to discuss. Concerning the administration of your group…it is in my firm belief that I am not the right one to lead you.” Sorrow and darkness surrounded his eyes as he looked at me.

“Why is this on your belief Miss?” he mumbled looking away.

“Tomas I am sorry I wasn’t of any help at your miserable, at least so far, life. I wish there was a way to help you but killing Cup was something I wasn’t planning on doing. The reason why I cannot and will not take his place is because I am not one of you. The way you think, act and especially feed is nothing close to my own. Due to this reason and many others I am afraid I will not be of any assistance. However I promise you that the other side won’t be able to lay hands on you or your group. If I have to I will protect you with my own life. I am willing to.” A sad smile spread across my face as I lowered my head to gaze on my trembling hands. I hated this, I was in this world to help not disappoint the ones who requested my help.

“Miss Abby…then what are we going to do without a leader? This place will turn into a complete chaos if there is no one to stabilize us!” the tall vampire named Tomas mumbled under his breath. Panic filled his eyes and acts as he almost dropped his cup of coffee.

“There’s no need to worry Tomas.” I reached out my hand and took one of his between mine trying to calm him down. His frozen hand send shivers on my spine and I almost felt my eyes flicker in fear for his future. Something about him wasn’t right and I saw death surround him.

On the other hand he was a creature that was surrounded by death. Maybe he was death himself, nobody really knows how many humans he killed before he ended up being kind.

“Tomas. I will place someone in my spot. You for example. Everyone here respects you and fears you. Additionally you speak and act like a real gentleman. I believe you will become and continue to be a true commander.” I smiled widely while patting his arm in approval.

“It’s a great honor to be offered your place as a commanded Miss Abby. I will disappoint you. And you should know, that whenever you need help we will be here to support you.”

“You are not on our side!” Andrew growled out frightening me due to not realizing when he arrived and intruded our conversation.

“Sir we are not evil. We have wives and a home to return to. We are able to love and fall in love. We were changed without wanting to. Cup and a few others were the mean of this group. The evil ones!” he held and bumped his fist on the bar. Immediately I felt the whip’s handle slide on my palm.