Thief

2018

"Why it has to be raining right now?", I thought to myself while carefully working on the remaining latches. Sometimes it felt like every time I am on a job heaven is opening its gate just to annoy me. Even the moon got covered by the many clouds this night, merciless denying any chance to receive even the tiniest bit of light.

But there is more needed to stop me from tonight's task.

The fourth latch seemed to approve, by giving me the sweet sound of a lock jumping open. Witnessing what happened to his comrades a few minutes ago, the last latch was eyeing me suspiciously. I did not envy this wretched thing and released it from its pain quickly. I would like to say that it fought well, but that wouldn't quite hit the mark.

Having opened all the latches, I carefully took hold of the window and slowly pushed it upwards. It only took me a few glances to spot the little wire which was attached to the window. During opening hours the electronic system, which is responsible for opening and closing the windows, deactivates the alarm the wire would trigger. During the night, on the flipside, the wires contact would be active and raise the alarm as soon as something pulls it. A window for example.

In the worst case, it would be a silent alarm, which lets the thief continue until the friendly police officers take in custody. Not intending to participate in such a party, I carefully cut through the wire, making sure that tonight no alarm would be raised.

The inside of the building lay in complete darkness and revealed nothing to me. Reaching inside my bag I took out a long and heavy rope and attached it carefully to the roof. I double checked the knot and pulled a few times hard at the rope, to make sure it would carry my weight. Even though there was not much to carry.

Being satisfied that the rope was securely attached and would hold up to the task I let the other end into the dark hole. Back in the days, I started with this kind of work I felt quite reluctant relying my life on a rope. Even now the feeling stayed with me just less noisy.

What choice do I have anyway? Wasn't like I had many job offers to choose from, nor any skills which would make me good in other areas of business. Putting all my discomfort aside I grabbed the rope and let myself into the abyss.

The first few meters felt like being swallow by darkness, risking to never reach the surface again. After my eyes adjusted to the new environment and hungrily taking in even the smallest reflections of light I began to see more and more. It wasn't enough to take my hole surrounding in, but at least I was able to make out the first shapes and forms, as I made my way down.

The rope stopped approximately three meters off the ground. It wasn't due to my disability to do proper math. The last thing you want on a run is climbing a rope while your pursuer has a hold of the bottom end and dangles you from the left to the right. Therefore I made sure the rope wasn't long enough to reach the bottom and placed it next to a big statue.

For what I know the statue is dedicated to a sergeant with his horse, leading his company into battle. He, unfortunately, died in that skirmish but got famous for being a brave soldier and stalling his opponent long enough for his comrades to escape. Well technically his entire company died a week later in another skirmish but people don't like to go into too much detail here.

Climbing down on him he at least helped me to reach the floor safely. Good boy.

The hall was empty as I expected and I started my run to the upper floors. It was a specific room I was looking for but sadly far away from my entry point of the building. I would gladly have chosen another window, but it was the first one I could find without a proper camera security.