Birth of a Hero

Kara's PoV
   I turn on the news. Great. I revealed myself to the world. Luckily they didn't get a great picture. I pace the apartment stressed. Alex walks in and her angry sister face is on. "What the hell Kara! You just revealed yourself!" She said obviously stressed out. "With all these aliens we need someone to protect National City also I couldn't stand by watching someone else I care about get hurt when I have the power to be able to save them!" I say almost crying. "Kara if this is about Barry that was a freak accident! Even you aren't fast enough to race lightning" Alex says trying to reason. I then burst into tears. "I know I know but I feel as if I could've been there sooner he'd not be in a coma." I say leaning on her. "Kara he's lucky he's not dead there's still a chance for him to wake up" Alex says and I pull myself together.
"Maybe it's better he's comatose" Alex says turning on the news. "Central City is home to the crazy now. Not aliens like here. What they call meta-humans because of there mutated DNA giving them what's called a meta gene which in turns changes there entire body to have abilities" Alex said. "Humans with superpowers? This just keeps getting worse" I say. "There aren't many at the moment." Alex said being reassuring.

"Winn I need to talk to you on the roof" I whisper to him heading up to the roof of CatCo. "Kara? Hey, uh, just whatever you have to say, can you make it quick? I'm not really into being this high up." Winn said nervously. "Can I trust you?" I ask him seriously. "Yeah of course" Winn says. "Good.Um, I just I really want someone to be excited for me. And I, um Right, how do Uh, there's something about me that for most of my life, I've run from it. But last night, I embraced who I am and I don't want to stop." I start rambling. "Kara?" Winn says. "I'm her! The woman who saved the plane" I spit out. Winn had an I don't believe you look on his face. "I can tell by the I don't believe you look on your face that you don't believe me" I say to Winn. "It's not that I don't believe you Kara but-Kara NO don't jump off the roof Kara" Winn says desperately as I make my way to the edge. I jump/fall off and fly back up. Setting my glasses back on my face I see Winn with a goofy grin on his face. "You're you're her" he stuttered.

Me and Winn eventually decided to fight crime. And by that I mean he makes the suit and finds things and I do the saving. "So how is it huh? How does it fit?" Winn says. "I'm not flying around in this thing saving people I wouldn't even wear it to the beach." I say as Winn made me try on the first prototype of my suit. Eventually we decided on a blue long sleeved shirt with the house of el's coat of arms with a red skirt cape and knee high boots. And I was off to my first crime! It was just a simple bank robbery but ya know it's all good. I feel a pinch in my neck and everything goes black.
   When I wake up I'm in a clean room on a table. "Don't bother trying to escape those cuffs are made of low-grade Kryptonite. Radioactive mineral from your home planet." A black man says as my vision comes into focus. "Where Where am I? Who are you" I pant. "Name's Hank Henshaw I believe you already know Agent Danvers" the Black guy-Hank Henshaw-says. "We don't need these she won't hurt anyone" Alex says unstrapping me. "Welcome to the DEO, the Department of Extranormal Operations. The DEO monitors and protects Earth from extraterrestrial presence and/or invasion. That means you. Your ship. We keep it here as a reminder of the day you crashed on Earth. You're the reason for all of this." He says walking me around the facility. "Me? But my cousin was here over twenty years before me. And what about Central City and their craziness with super-powered humans." I say crossing my arm. "And it was his arrival that triggered the need for this organization.
We realized we weren't alone in the universe and we might soon be getting more immigrants. Sure enough, you came along. And with you Fort Rozz." He says. "Fort Rozz is Kryptons maximum security prison." I say. "However your pod got out the phantom zone fort Rozz came out as well." He said. "I can help you stop them." I say. "How? You couldn't even stop us from capturing you" he fired back.
"I'm still learning."
"Our job is keeping people in the dark about alien life on Earth, and nothing says a covert operation like a flying woman in a red skirt."
"They know about my cousin, they don't fear him."
"Plenty of people do, just not popular to admit it. You wanna help? Go back to getting someone's coffee." He finished walking off. I cross my arms mad. Alex walked over "I know you're mad and you're hurt. I wanted to tell you every single day." She said placing a hand on my shoulder. "No, instead, you told me every single day not to be who I really am." I say back pissed. "You have to listen to me." Alex says trying to reason. "I can't! This just kind of feels like one big coincidence, doesn't it? You working here, hunting down aliens, me being one? I-I can't help but think the real reason that you were recruited was because of me." I say facing Alex. "They recruited me because my background in bio-engineering makes me an expert on alien physiology. And, yeah, it helps that I shared a bathroom with one." She said. "I'm leaving" I say walking off then flying home. I turn the news on and the report is talking about the newly named 'supergirl' great just what I was looking for a chance to be in Kal-el's shadow. I angrily turn it off.
I walk into Miss Grant's office mad. "Supergirl we can't name her that!" I yell. "We didn't" she says looking at me. "Right, I'm sorry.
It's just, uh I don't want to minimize the importance of this." I then start stammering "A female superhero. Shouldn't she be called Superwoman?" I say. "I'm sorry, darling, I just can't hear you over the loud color of your cheap pants." Ms. Grant says. I exhale "If we call her Supergirl, something less than what she is, doesn't that make us guilty of being anti-feminist? Didn't you say she was a hero?" I ask her less angrily. "I'm the hero. I stuck a label on the side of this girl, I branded her. She will forever be linked to Catco, to the Tribune, to me." Cat starts "And what do you think is so bad about Girl? Huh? I'm a girl.
And your boss, and powerful, and rich, and hot and smart. So if you perceive Supergirl as anything less than excellent, isn't the real problem you? And if you're so smart, Kerah, could you please give me one reason why I shouldn't fire you" she says. "I'll let it slide this once Kerah" she says. I nod and leave. If only Barry were here to help me through this.