Chapter Twelve

Where is my Chemistry Text Book?

Maya literally turned her bag and bed inside out, as she rummaged through for her text book.

I can bet I had it just now..

She couldn't find it, so she sat back on her bed, and let her mind do the thinking. She wore a loose blue Prussian colored top, and a black fairly patterned skirt. She tried retracing her steps and thought she might have left it on the couch. Her sullen dismay, when it wasn't there either.

It was no use, she needed to study for her test the next day. Exams were to begin soon, and how she had hoped for better grades.

She sat confused and scratched her head at intervals. It didn't itch, but it expressed confusion of some sort.

She looked blankly through her window, before her eyes caught something. It was her laptop. A gift she had gotten from her uncle, Jerry.

Uncle Jerry, a story for another day... Or maybe I can just say a little..

Uncle Jerry was Maya's uncle who lived at Kentucky. He was one of Maya's favourite, and bought her a laptop when she turned Ten. Yep, Ten! It still worked fine, except for the weak battery worn out, stickers of her favorite musicians, actresses and of course, cartoons.

It was as a result of her School's performance. He did promise to always get her new gifts, only if she continued amazingly.

Then, she had only started noticing the early signs of Dyslexia. She had grown with it, but was able to pull through until then. It wasn't until they had performed series of tests, that they affirmed her being dyslectic. She remembered how she had searched up the word after they returned from the hospital that night.

But now, it's different. She had learned not to feel sorry for herself but to keep doing what she's amazing at. Most Dyslectic people have hidden talents, so did her therapist say.

As she walked over to the laptop that had been kept aside for some time. The idea of reading up a thing or two for the next day dawned on her. She searched up a site and read through. She felt better reading through her system after all, because she could zoom in when the words appeared blurred.

Occasionally, she would squint at an unfamiliar word and pause for a bit uttering something only her knew.

She adjusted her glasses, and scrolled down each page with her mouse. She moved uncomfortably, on her seat and stretched. She looked through her window and noticed the day had gradually paved way for the night.

The thought of not always having to catch the transition from day to night popped into her head.

Why is it always like that?

She had finally accepted it as God's work, never comprehensible.

She leaned on her elbow which had been firmly placed on the window's lintel, and popped her head through the window as the evening breeze caressed her face, and her hair blew out gently. It was an amazing feeling. She had casually greeted a neighbor who had passed by at that time, after which she shut the windows..

***

Maya arrived school the next day a little too early. She had done that to follow in order to browse through some books and join in the group conversation her class usually had before tests. She had loved it, but didn't comment much. She only listened.

Mia had tapped her gently on the shoulder just enough to get her attention before she whispered into her ear,

"Mr. Drey said you should meet him at the basement."