thirty eight

Jo

I woke up the next morning to an empty house. I expected Harry to still be knocked out in the bed in the guest bedroom, but rather he was gone; in fact, there didn't seem to be any proof that he even stayed there in the first place.

Suppressing the heavy feeling in my chest, I continued on with my normal morning routine. I wasn't going to let Harry's departure affect me if he doesn't even care to stay, I was going to go on with life.

At least I'll finally be prepared for when he actually leaves --

*BANG.*

Without warning, the front door to my house sprang open, a blast of warm air entering the cool house. Without hesitating, I quickly hid behind the counter, the blood pulsing through my veins a lot faster than before.

Is someone breaking in to my house? Wait... who uses the front door? Well, I'm sure some people do but --

"JO?! COME OVER HERE AND HELP YOUR MOTHER WITH HER BAGS!"

Oh crap.

I immediately sprang up from my hiding space behind the counter and quickly looked over to see my mother standing there, her hands on her hips as she stared in to the kitchen with much noted annoyance.

"Mami," I gasped, quickly making my way over to her. "What are you doing here?"

I made sure to give my mother a hug and a kiss -- the usual greeting -- before continuing to interrogate her. "How did you even get here? How do you know where I live? And how did you get in to my house?"

"Ay, m'ija dejame descansar por un rato." She grabbed two of her various bags and began dragging them up the stairs. I understood what she was trying to tell me as I silently began helping her with her bags like any good daughter would do.

After all, she is the woman who went through labor to have me.

It's like she already had the map of the house imprinted in her brain as she walked right in to the guest bedroom -- the room Harry stayed in the night before. She placed the bags down on the floor and immediately laid down on the bed like any teenager would do after a long trip.

I didn't get to wash the sheets, Mami. I cringed at the sight of her lanky figure resting on the mattress, trying not to think about all the accumulated germs on there.

"So, Mami, I was just about to make lunch... so why don't you join me downstairs?"

I'm sorry, I just had to get her out of the room so I could wash those sheets.

She cracked open her eyes, no doubt the four hour trip taking a toll on her aging body. But I take off after my mother -- and we love food. "Bueno, si es para comer, entonces me levanto."

Score one for Jo.

She hastily followed me in to the kitchen, sitting at the tiny table in the kitchen as I began to search for something to prepare. I was originally going to eat my usual bowl of cereal, but now that my mother dropped in unexpectedly, I had to prepare the perfect hispanic lunch -- which is very hard to do when you have empty cabinets.

"Mami -- "

"Jo, adonde esta tu novio? The one Melinda told me so much about?" My mother interrupted me, her scrutinizing stare now directed at me. The pot I had in my hands dropped to the ground with a loud clang, my eyes going wide.

"Boyfriend? Mami -- "

*BANG.*

"Hey, Jo! I'm back with breakfast!"

Oh dear god, no.

..... ..... .....

[haha I was going to stop it there but I'm in a very good mood since I finally reached 100k so I'll keep going in the third person pov]

Jo's eyes widened even more as she stared at her open front door, silently praying that this were all just some horrible nightmare.

But it wasn't.

Turns out Harry didn't actually bolt that morning, but rather he took the list on the counter -- the one Jo needed to do the grocery shopping -- and completed the task for her. And now he's at her house; the same house her mom is temporarily staying in, and he shows up just as her mother starts asking for her so-called 'boyfriend'.

The second he stepped in to the kitchen, he immediately sensed something was wrong. For one, Jo was staring at him like a deer in the headlights, and second, there was an older version of Jo sitting sitting in one of the stools, watching his every move.

"Pero él no es el muchacho en los posters de Gabbi en casa? El guapo?"

"Mami!"

"What's going on?" Harry finally asked, breaking up the little mother-daughter argument that was about to go down. Jo glanced at her mother, opening her mouth so say something, but her mother beat her to it as she began to speak with her Spanish accent.

"I'm Jo's mother, Isabel; and you must be her boyfriend." She smiled, standing up from her seat in order to embrace Harry, whom still had the shopping bags in his hands, might I add.

Jo expected him to say something, to deny that they were even an item -- but Harry did no such thing. Instead, he accepted her mother's hug and went along with everything.

And she didn't quite know how to feel about that.

translations *rough translation not literal*:

ay, m'ija, dejame descansar por un rato. = please, let me rest for a while

bueno, si es para comer, entonces me levanto = well, if it's to eat, then i'll get up

adonde esta tu novio? = where's your boyfriend?

Pero él no es el muchacho en los posters de Gabbi en casa? El guapo? = but isn't he the boy in Gabbi's posters at home? the cute one?

____________

a/n.

hey guys so... another chappie

BEFORE YOU GUYS SAY ANYTHING: don't correct my spanish. to be frank, it pisses me off because i know my spanish isn't perfect and i don't use google translate or whatever, i write how us PUERTO RICANS tend to talk.

so, there might be some differences.

but, other than that, what did you guys think? did you like it or no?

please vote, comment, fan, and share :-)

i love you guys so so much and THANK YOU ALL SO FLIPPING MUCH FOR GETTING ME TO 105.4K READS YOU GUYS ARE LITERALLY THE BOMB.COM AND I LOVE YOU GUYS SO SO MUCH YOU HAVE NO IDEA LIKE I CAN'T EVEN I'M SOBBING.

okay, bye :-) until next time.