Chapter 10 - Fighting Together Again

Back on board, the Star Destroyer Chromia was reviewing the plan which had been formulated upon the shuttle. Her stormtroopers and the Knights were ready. The stormtroopers would rain blaster shots, the Knights hand-to-hand combat and the flame throwers would aim their fire at Kylo Ren and the girl if, at any point, they appeared to be overpowering their forces. Chromia herself would be in a hidden position behind the shuttle once it was in the hangar, ready to administer the Senflax. She had her extendable metal staff and had put her chrome uniform on for protection, all but the helmet- she needed to be able to see clearly.

From the viewing window above the hangar, Hux watched Chromia organise her squad; he stood with his arms stiffly behind his back, chest puffed out, the calm exterior hiding the pounding in his chest. This was the moment he'd been waiting for, been planning for; the leadership of the First Order and Galaxy would soon be rightfully his, and he was anxious with anticipation. Given the Knights were now following Chromia's command, an unexpected but not unwelcome surprise, they should have enough resources to take down Ren and the girl. Hux would have them both! He'd have the treacherous Ren and that scavenger. On Ren, Hux planned all manner of torture for every humiliation received at Ren's hands and for all the times Snoke had overlooked him in favour of his treacherous apprentice. On the girl, he'd use whatever it took to find out where the Resistance was. The end was nigh; it would all be over soon, and it would all be his. If Chromia was to be believed, the Knights' loyalty could be counted on for now. Once Ren was Hux's prisoner, he would consider what to do with them. They were elite, yes, but not real soldiers, not like his soldiers. Hux was brought out of his plans at the sight of Kylo's Upsilon-class command shuttle finally being brought into the hangar. Chromia was looking up at him from below, and he nodded a sign to her that she could commence. Let's see if she genuinely was Phasma's true replacement.

-X-

Inside the shuttle, Kylo and Rey had their lightsabers ready, for what Kylo wasn't sure but it was nothing good. He was frightened, a feeling he'd not felt in years. He'd never felt frightened for his own life or any injuries he might gain. He was scared for Rey, for what Hux would do to her, the information she had. Everything was within Hux's grasp, and all he had to do was take it. Together, they had to make sure they made that as difficult as possible. He cursed himself again for allowing her to distract him earlier because now he'd put her in real danger.

The shuttle was being brought into the hangar; the whole ship was creaking and shaking, complaining at having been dragged in via the tractor beam. It landed ungraciously, throwing Kylo and Rey off balance temporarily. There was no point delaying the inevitable. The door was locked, for now, but now aboard the Star Destroyer, Hux's officers could open the door by accessing the ship's computer.

He looked at Rey; she seemed surprisingly calm, and he scolded himself for allowing his emotions to flow so freely. Her eyes were squinted, and she looked as though she was ready to sprint. He smiled to himself until the gangway door to his shuttle opened with a rush of air. A slither of exterior light was visible around the door. As it slowly started to lower, the slither increased as the hangar bay became more apparent. Outside, a small squadron of troops became visible, immediately in front of the gangway and alarmingly interspersed between them were his Knights. No, not my Knights, he reminded himself, not anymore. To each side of the squad were troopers with flame throwers.

Rey was assessing the situation he could see.

"Stay close to each other; we're stronger together. Be careful of the flame throwers. I'll take care of any blaster fire. Beware the Knights; they are skilled fighters like Snoke's Praetorian, with ultrasonic-enhanced weapons that defy lightsabers. They won't hesitate to do what is necessary."