you're right

"Alright, so what can I help with?" Justin finally asked. The pair had spent the first two hours together drinking wine, and talking about the past 24 hours for the both of them. Tyler had had plans with the guys tonight, and though he felt bad, the pair hung out separately. 

"Well Katie kinda caught me off guard today" Tayla began, setting down her glass of wine. "First off, do you think it's weird that I've haven't unpacked anything yet? I mean most of my clothes are still in boxes, I've just dug out the essentials" she asked first and foremost. 

"Uh- how long have you been here?" Justin asked, curiously. 

"About a month, maybe a little more- honestly I'm not 100%" Tayla informed him. 

"Do you think you maybe didn't unpack because you were afraid of not forgiving Tyler?" Justin asked, repeated exactly what Katie had said earlier in the day. 

"I- that's what Katie said" Tayla whispered softly, her anger turning to hurt, and then confusion. Was that the truth? Was that the reason she didn't unpack? Was she just using being tired and busy as an excuse?

"Well, were you afraid?" Justin asked, and Tayla nodded. 

"When I first came back here I wasn't sure what I was going to do- I just felt I needed to be here" she told him honestly. "I love my job, and didn't want to give it up- but on the chance I didn't forgive Tyler, I wasn't sure if I could stand watching him move on while I stayed on the sidelines, writing articles praising his talent" she rambled, the three glasses of wine she had in a quick period beginning to get to her. She liked to talk a lot when she was drinking, and had a bad habit of spilling her true feelings. 

"So that is why then" Justin confirmed, eyeing Tayla sympathetically. 

"And I'm still scared, Justin" Tayla whispered. 

"What are you so scared of?" Justin asked, setting his empty glass down on the coffee table. 

"I guess the usual- I don't want to get hurt" she stated the obvious. 

"We're always afraid of that though, isn't it?" Justin asked, before continuing. "When we love someone, be it in a romantic way, or in another way, we put a big piece of trust in them. We let them into the deepest parts of our souls. We let them see us naked; and I don't mean without clothes. I mean, we let them see our deepest thoughts, our insecurities, our dreams, fears... everything" he paused for a moment. 

"When you're in love with someone, you're entrusting your heart to them. You give your entire self to them; they become a part of you. Isn't that scary? The thought that that piece of you could be ripped away at any given moment?" he asked, and Tayla nodded, enthralled in the words Justin spoke. 

"It's only natural to be scared. We all are. But we can't let fear override our lives. We have to trust that who loves you has your best interest in mind. Like Katie showed you when she pointed this out to you- and like Tyler, who despite doing something so heinous, did it out of love, and will do absolutely anything for you. That's rare, babe" Justin took a breath, but still, pressed on. 

"So why not go all for it? Why not dive into this life with Tyler you so desperately want? You'll be afraid in any relationship, regardless of who it's with, but you've said it before; he's your soulmate" he finally concluded. He allowed her a moment to absorb everything he had just said. 

As soon as she began to let the words sink in, she knew he was absolutely correct. It didn't matter what type of relationship you had, whether it be a boyfriend, or a best friend, you give them a piece of you; both of which can be equally devastating when ripped away. In Tayla's case, her best friend and boyfriend were the same person.