Chapter 25

I just want to scream and pull all of my hair out, but, of course, I'm not going to do that. I'm standing in the kitchen avoiding Samuel like he is the plague. He makes me nervous. He makes me feel things that I shouldn't be feeling. He makes me want to be around him. I shouldn't want to be around him. I shouldn't miss him when I'm not around him....

      What would Brittany think if she knew that I was helping take care of Samuel? I wonder if I will ever even see her again at the rate she is going now....It's like she wants to fall off of the face of the earth and never be found again.

       My phone starts ringing. I look down. It's Samuel calling me. I furrow my eyebrows.

"Hello?" I answer.

"Stop avoiding me." He says, bluntly, to me over the phone.

"I'm not avoiding you." I argue, unconvincingly.

"Liar. Liar. Pants on fire." I can hear a tad bit of playfulness in his voice.

I feel a smile starting to form on my face, involuntarily. "I'm not lying!" I continue to argue.

"If you aren't lying, then come see me."

He hangs up.

I'm standing in the kitchen with my mouth hanging open.

What just happened?

I sigh, and walk into Samuel's room.

"You wanted me in here." I announce. I walk over to stand on the side of his bed where he is laying.

"I want to get out of this room today." He announces, like it's nothing.

I'm so shocked that it takes me a moment to register what he said in my brain.

"Are you serious right now?" I ask.

"Serious as a heart attack." He points to his heart.

Well, this day just got interesting.