Chapter Seven- Patrick's Story

Chapter Seven

Week Two

Thursday

            It was hard to pick myself back up after my run in with a former classmate. I had spent the entire Tuesday night wallowing in my own self-pity. I couldn’t pick myself up and leave the house until today. In the back of my mind, I somehow found the reason to get up and attend group therapy.

            Wrapped up in a big, puffy winter coat, along with boots, I made my way into the building. My boots squeaking as usual and I tried to dry them off on the already soaked rug by the door. It didn’t do any good and I just continued on, cringing by the noise. I made it into the room, being the second person there.

            My eyes were held captive by a familiar pair of almost onyx-colored eyes. Griffin sat on the edge of his blue plastic chair lazily. His legs spread wide and his boots had formed a puddle around his feet. He only wore a dark thick zip-up hoodie, dark jeans, a dark shirt visible, and a beanie over his mess of dirty blonde hair. His arms rested behind his head and his lips quirked up into a smirk at my arrival.

            My expression was still blank as I broke eye contact to take off my coat. I threw it over the back of my chair and took a seat. I looked back to his face, the smirk never faltered, and we stared at each other.

            I found myself shifting uncomfortably at his oddly sinister expression that he always held. Something about that smirk left the pit of my stomach in a whirl. “Hey,” I finally decided to break the silence.

            His smirk dropped immediately and his eyes narrowed in scrutiny at me. How could he be so attractive and look so evil at the same time? I bit my lip and shoved my hands under my thighs for warmth. No matter how hard I could try and pull away my eyes would keep going back to his.

            He licked his lips, “Not going to say anything?” I tried again. Griffin continued to stare at me, “Not even a casual greeting?” I offered. He rolled his eyes with a smirk while simultaneously shaking his head.

            I huffed and crossed my arms over my chest. Rude. I scowled at him as other people began to file in. We all seemed to sit in an uncomfortable silence until Dr. Harris came in. Griffin no longer stared at me and instead seemed to be listening to the older woman named Robin.

            Dr. Harris finally arrived and took the last empty seat available. “Afternoon, everyone.” Only a few people offered returning words. She smiled with her green eyes shining with happiness. She pulled out a notepad and pen, resting it on her crossed knee. She brushed her hair out of her face and adjusted herself.

            “Today, we will begin to share our personal stories. We will listen to the individual’s story and offer encouraging words or maybe some advice. The point of this is to just listen. Be aware of the fact that you are not the only person suffering from depression. Be aware that there are different things that may trigger depression such as school, your home life and certain events. Okay?” She explained and everyone nodded. “Who would like to start?” She asked and looked around the group.

            I froze completely. I avoided eye contact and looked at the snow melting around my boots. My body temperature began to heat up causing me to sweat. I swallowed harshly and gripped the chair.

            “I’m only going to take volunteers.” She stated.

            “I’ll go.” I looked up to see who it was. It was the man that I saw in the room on the first day—Patrick. The raven haired, tall, and light green-eyed middle aged man. He was pretty attractive for an older gentleman. He rubbed his hands together in preparation.