10

Devonte

"Nah, play it back." I hovered over my producer, Bando, and the engineer. We had been recording for several hours, but I still wasn't satisfied with the first verse on my single. I had an album in the works, and I had spent a lot of time working on it since I came to Indy, but everything that happened in my life, including the death of my uncle and getting back with Yazmine inspired me. I was adding a new song to my album, but I was also gonna drop a single before the album was released.

During the writing process, the words just came to me, and of course I had to get in the booth and lay it down, but I needed the song to be perfect. "This shit hot, fuck you talkin bout?" Bando sat up straight from his signature slouch in his adamance. He was an Atlanta nigga, that I found through my manager and lately I had been using him to produce everything. When I first got in the game, I produced everything myself, and I never thought I would find someone who captured my sound, but Bando was legit as fuck and he harnessed exactly what I was going for in every track. He was a typical dreaded, laid back nigga, and low key as fuck, but he was gold. His sound was super raw, and that's what I needed.

"Nah, lemme hear it again." I felt like I ain't do it how I want but I would listen again. Bando nodded and the engineer played it back. I bowed my head to hear the lyrics back and critique my flow.

Listen I know you still hear me
they say it gets better, nice theory
I ain't over it yet, clearly

lot of shit I ain't get to tell you
Well you
Were a father figure
But the husband of my father's sister

Damn
This shit real?
Damn
I hate how it feel

World unfair and I'm weary
Really wish it wasn't you we had to bury
Man listen I know you still hear me

I shook my head furiously, nah it still wasn't where I needed it to be. Motherfuckas who thought being a rapper was easy ain't know shit. I worked hard as fuck and never released a song until I felt the shit was exactly what I was going for. I've spent the night in the studio before, I went without sleep and food, and it was just a part of the creative process. This shit was my life now and I owed to myself and my fans to put my heart and soul in every song. Every lyric, every word, every pause, I put it there.

I walked back to the booth to lay the verse down again and felt my phone vibrate in my pocket. I wasn't gonna check it, since I ain't want to get distracted but the way my life been going lately I decided to. Could be important.

It was Trey calling me. "Aye hol up ima take this." I stepped out the booth and dapped Bando and the engineer. "Y'all gimme five, this my boy."

"You straight."

I made sure to close the door behind me tightly and went down into the lobby. Nobody was there, and I answered the call, hoping it wasn't nothing bad.

"Trey, what's up?"

"Tae you better come get Trey before he go to jail!" It wasn't even Trey it was Yazmine.

"Yaz why you got Trey phone? The fuck going on?" As I spoke I fished in my pocket for my keys.

I heard a scream in the background then a female voice yelling, "Trey stop you gon kill him, Trey please!"

"Bitch shut the fuck up and get out before I beat yo ass again!" Yazmine wasn't playing no games. "Devonte! I need you to come get Trey. Now!"

Before I could say shit, there was a scuffling sound and a click. Fuck. I jogged out to my car, unlocking it, dialing Bando.