Personal

Ethan

"Damn it."

She beat me. Again.

"I give up." I said, flopping down on my back.

She turned to me. "Let's go downstairs then."

We opened the door and walked past the many sweaty teens doing God-knows-what on the cream-colored walls.

Most people were seated in the kitchen playing Seven Minutes In Heaven. "Wanna join?" I asked, nodding towards the slightly tipsy group.

Evelyn nodded. "Looks kinda fun."

We walked in and Sapphire turned to us, an evil smirk on her visage. "Look who came to join us. Why don't you go next?" She turned to the group. "I choose 'E'. Ethan."

Ashton was there too.

She spun the bottle as we all joined the circle. I kept my beady eyes on it and so did everyone else.

Please never stop spinning...

It stopped.

I traced the empty bottle's neck to the victim. Crap.

It was Evelyn.

A strange silence loomed in the atmosphere. I regretted coming here. "Um, I don't know..." I said, insecurely. Sapphire giggled. "Well, if you don't want to go with this bozo, I completely understand. Just know, if you refuse, I have to go in with you. I promise it'll me so much better."

I gulped. There was no way I'd go into a pantry with her.

I gave Ashton a nervous glance. I mouthed, 'sorry'. He sized me up.

Well, at least he's looking at me more often nowadays...

I followed the brunette into the dark, dimly-lit pantry and stuffed my hands into my jacket pockets. Why didn't I just wear my hoodie again...

I gnawed nervously on my lip. "So..."

"So..."

She's not helping at all.

"Can I ask you...a personal question?" She said, making the hairs on the back of my neck stand.

"I guess."

She went silent for a while. "Why don't you have a girlfriend?"

Well. Didn't see that one coming.