In The Heat Of The Blaze

February 8th, one of those days that you start, thinking it would be 'just another ordinary day'. That day that you have a maths test that you forgot to study for and a double history lesson where you are learning about the all important 'past' when really, the future is the only thing that counts toward anything. But that 'ordinary day', really turns out to be much more than just an ordinary day - an extraordinary day. Except, in my case, it was life changing.

*********

My heart was pounding in my chest and my throat was parched, my hands violently shaking and my mind racing. All those disaster movies never really explain quite how terrifying things like this really were in reality.

Catching one last glimpse of the blazing fire in front of me, that was currently 'renovating' my apartment in The Valerie Apartments, I closed my eyes and took a deep breath.

As the darkness caved in around me, the commotion and horrific noises were silenced, and all i could hear was my heart, dancing rapidly in my chest. The heat radiating off the fire was lashing out against my exposed skin, and a thin layer of sweat kept in tact.

I had always been the brave one, and at this moment, the bravery got the best of me as i went head first into something that had the potential, the very possible potential, to end my life. Somewhere along the track, i had created almost a key moto inside my head: 'put others before yourself'. I guess, that as the sirens were wailing and the terrified screams were ringing in my ears from every which direction, i decided that in this case, it was put my life at risk in order to save others.

I knew that there were still people inside that building. There had to be. Groups of people that surrounded the smouldering building were wailing endlessly. Although i couldn't be sure if it was because a loved one was also burning to death, or that their home was burning down to only the smallest ashes, i couldn't be sure, but, something insdide of me was pushing me forward. Like someone was calling for help inside of me.

Without another thought, my eyes flickered open, and i plummetted forward, not sure how much longer anmyone could withstand the flames that, as i watched, were devouring the famous building like a hungry monster.

The closer i got, the more my skin stung as the heat intensified. I was only vaguely aware of the calling of my name in the background. My mothers voice - scared and worried. Glancing over my shoulder, my mothers figure appeared, struggling against two men as she desperately reached out for me. Her face was paioned as tears strode down her cheeks, falling freely from her eyes. Her brown hair was a mess, and her fruitless attempts at escaping the death grips both men had on her, only made my heart sink deeper in my chest.

My breathing wavered. I shouldn't be leaving her. She already lost my father, she can't loose me too. Nonetheless, my attention returned to the awaiting reality as the air became thicker, and i could feel my lungs being intoxicated with smoke.

The building was not even ten meters away now. My heart was beating faster the closer i got. The emergency exit doors were wide open, and whilst there was still a heap of smoke crawling out the doorway, it looked like a much safer bet than any other entry point i could see.

'Madam' an alarmed voice called. I didn't have to look to know it was an emergency helper that had been been monitoring the area closely, making sure no one went inside the building. I could only hope and pray that he wouldn't follow me inside. 'Come back!' his voice called out again, muffled by the surrounding noise as i entered the building.

The grey smoke clouded the area, making it near on imposible to see as i stumbled across the ground. To the right, i could barely make out the stairway. Not even a seconds interval got me on my feet again as headed up the stairway, my breathing intoxicated with every inhale i took.

As i made my way up the stairwll, i found my arms out in front of me, desperately tryuing to clear the air, but it was useless. Panic started to rise inside of me as i made my way onto the second floor as i realised that other than the crackling and hissing of the fire, no other sound could be heard.

Swallowing, i stepped around the cabinet=like item that lay lifelessy on the floor. My body shuddered as i realised that this cabinet was probably not the only lifeless thing that lay in the depths of this building.

Surprisingly, the smoke thinned out, not completely, but i could see much clear now (despite my burning eyes). The time was ticking away as i ran down the corridor, and i knew it wasn't long until the building collapsed. Fear bubbled inside me as the realisation set in as i realised that my ashes would probably rest among those of the buildings.

A newcome sound startled me out of my grief, sending my feet flying up the next set of stairs. The cires of help sounded liked they were coming from the third floor, but, like i couldn't tell if the voice was that of a boy or a girl, i couldn't tell where the screams were coming from.

My feet pounded along the ground as i reached the thir level. This level, like level 1, was also thick with smoke, and impossibly see-through as the clouds of smoke and ash blanketted all sense of rightfullness. The floor was scorching beneath my shoes, and the idea of quick feet, despite my aching muscles, actually became twenty times more appealing to me.

'I'm coming!' I called as loudly as possible, but it came out no louder than my ormal speaking boive as my throat itched for water.

My initial reaction when the black figure or sihlouette cam into view, was fright. To be honest, i don't know what i was expecting when my whole sould reason for being in the middle of an inferno right know, was to save lives. But regardless, the fright from actually seeing someone in the middle of a fire quickly dissolved and was replaced with a wash of relief.

Rushing forward, i noticed the figure struggling. 'Help!' the definately male voice shrieked. My knees dropped to the ground as an immediate reaction. Not sure if he knew i was there or not, i put an arm on his shoulder almost comfortingly. Startled, he looked to me. My eyes trailed down his body, wondering what was stopping him from escaping. My eyes instantly landed on half of his leg.

I panicked and felt my gut drop inside of me. He lost his leg! At further inspection, i realised how stupid i was as i noticed a hole in the floor where his calf and foot had disappeard to. Clearly the floor had given way. I inhaled sharply. This was going to be harder than i thought.

_____~__________~_________~________~_________~____________~____________~_______~

So? Like, not like? Let me know! xoxo

This is only a short story, maybe two chapters long so ill upload tomorrow :) if i get some good comments, i might continue, but honestly i am not expecting much.

SO, have a great day! xx 

-PeacexLovexSmiles