Chapter 18: Merciless

*10 days since Astrid left*

It has been ten days now and the pack has been training non stop. The pack members have been training non stop. In the mean time, Imelda told Sebastian about Imara, her friend who offered to help if the help was needed. So, Sebastian contacted her and asked her if she would be willing to help if they need it. He needed to make sure, so she agreed. She said to call her if they need her and she will be there. Sebastian felt grateful after that and promised to call her. He has also been training with Elois a lot, as if to make up for all the time they lost.

And Elois knew that. He knew that Sebastian felt guilty and he also knew that no matter what he says that feeling won't leave him. So, he gave up on saying anything, but he never left his side either. Imelda and Gehenna have been training together and it helped Imelda clear her mind, and accept the fact that she can not help Astrid. No matter how much she wanted to. And in the mean time, Daetrin, Enfys and Kaleb have been training the rest of the pack members.

Enfys and Kaleb may have even went easy on them from time to time and it was pissing Daetrin off. So, as they stood in the garden and watched as the pack members trained. In the corner of his eye Daetrin saw two members sparring. It all seemed fine and then one of them lost their cool and became aggresive. So, once he saw that neither Enfys nor Kaleb were going to react, he started walking towards the two members and once the two of them saw him next to them, they stopped arguing.

"What seems to be the problem here, ladies?" He asked the women that were now standing infront of him, while they looked at the floor. Then the aggressive one started speaking again.

"She pushed me from behind. It wasn't a fair fight. I didn't see her coming." She said and Daetrin rolled his eyes. The girl saw that but said nothing once she saw the look he gave her. Then he turned around and started clapping which got everyones' attention.

"Listen up, everyone! You are here training for the upcoming war. The fight isn't supposed to be easy or fair. The war is never fair. So, I would suggest you all stop whining and start actually training. Except if there is someone here who would like to spar with me?" He asked and once he saw them all shake their heads, he smiled and told them to continue. But not before he saw something in the sky blink. It was like a little light that was visible out of nowhere but then it disappeared. He, however, ignored it. It has been happening for a long time now, and it never caused any threats. He walked up to Enfys and Kaleb who looked at him confused.

"Don't you think that you were a bit harsh?" Kaleb asked him and Daetrin raised his eyebrow as he looked Kaleb up and down.

"No. The war is coming and we all have to be prepared." He said and they both rolled their eyes. Not because of his answer. They understood what he meant, but because he misunderstood the question.

"No. I meant. Don't you think that you were a bit harsh on the women?" Kaleb asked again and this seemed to piss Daetrin off even more.

"I treat everyone the same. It does not matter to me what gender, sex, skin color or religion someone is. Everyone is the same to me." He said and then he walked away again to correct a member of the pack who still did not understand how to hold a sword. However, Kaleb had to ask Enfys something rather important.

"Have you noticed something strange about our new friend?" He asked and Enfys snorted as he turned to look at him.

"Other than the fact that we know nothing about him? And that he seems closed of?" Enfys asked and Kaleb rolled his eyes as he looked at the red haired man that was standing beside him.

"Every time when he speaks a bit louder there is this weird light that appears in the sky." He said and Enfys looked at him with raised eyebrows before he started laughing. But then he stopped once he saw the Kaleb was serious.

"I'm not kidding. What if Astrid was right? She did say that he isn't what he thinks he is. What if he isn't a werewolf? Or what if he is some weird mix of two weird breeds?" Kaleb asked and Enfys just rolled his eyes again as he told him that he was thinking too much into it. Or was he? What if Astrid really was right?

***

Meanwhile, Astrid was still in the same bed, still chained to it, still seing no light, just darkness. She was still being tortured and she already had enough of it. She thought that she was stronger than anything Pegah threw at her. But then again, she also didn't think that Pegah could do anything to her that wasn't done already. She was wrong. And then the doors opened and Pegah walked inside once again. Then, once she closed the doors, she walked towards the small woman with a new knife in her hand. That is all she ever used. Knives and wolfs bane. That was all she needed to break her. And she just needed ten days.

"Please, no more." She said and Pegah smirked as she looked at the weak woman before her.

"What?" She asked her. She wanted to cherish this moment. She wanted to hear her say it again and again and again. You may call her a sadistic bitch, but she wasn't born this way for evil is never born, it is always made.

"Mercy." She said and Pegah laughed out loud.

"Are you kidding me? It has only been ten days and you are already beggin me to kill you or to let you live? Ten days! You are weak!" She said and then she turned around as if to take something out of her bag, but Astrid stopped her again.

"Please. I can't take it anymore. Please, kill me already. Just finish it off." She said and Pegah turned around with with a dark look in her eyes. She crounched infront of Astrids' bed and smirked.

"You won't get any mercy from me." Pegah said as she made Astrid look her directly in the eyes. She tried to move away, or to close her eyes, but she could not. Once you look in Pegahs' eyes, you can not look away.

"You will remember your loved ones. All of them. All of those who died. You will keep remembering their deaths, you will go through the pain over and over again in the next seventeen days. You will remember every pain you ever felt. And I will ocassionally come here and I will make you physically suffer, but you will not be able to stop me." She said and then she walked out of her cage as she heard Astrid scream after her parents...and her little brother. Pegah, however, felt no remorse. Not for her. Not for Astrid. She remembered Astrid mentioning Daetrin Otis in one of their torture-days. She remembers her saying that Daetrin needed to know something, but she never said what he needed to know.

She wondered what that was all about, but she never asked her anything about him. It did not matter to her. Astrids' problems aren't hers to solve. She also knew that the Goddess could attack the Royal Grounds at any moment, which is why she made sure that some of her men would always be watching over the Castle. Pegah may hate Astrid, but that does not mean that she automatically has to hate her friends too. She won't let them die.

She will not fail her King no matter what. No one understood why was she loyal to the King. The Hunters were loyal to him, they really were. But Pegah seemed to carry so much respect in her for the King and the Hunters could not understand why. They all seemed to forget the history between The Saga family and the Demetre. The Saga family was the only family of witches to believe in Demetre when they said that they were the Dragons cursed to a human body.

They were the only ones to work with them, they were the only ones to try to help them. The Saga witch tried to remove the curse that was set upon the Demetre, because she knew that life without a dragon to protect them was no life at all. And she was right. Had there been at least one dragon in the last 300 years, the Shadow Demon would not been able to attack, the Gates of Hell would never be opened and the world would have never lost the magic in the first place.

And because of that Pegah would forever be loyal to the Saga King. And she would only bow to the Saga and to the Sinclair King on the throne. No one else. And that meant one thing. Once the war comes, once the Goddess decides that it is time to destroy everything and everyone, she would be there along with the rest of the hunters. She would be there to help and the hunters would follow her. After all, she was their leader and they will do whatever she asks of them.

The question was: How can they know when will the Goddess attack? What signs do they have to pay attention to?

*Getting closer and closer to the end.*