22

You'll see why I chose the song in a minute.

Wolfstar, James calls us.
"Can't you just combine our names?"
"No, I can't actually. Both your names end with U S so it won't work"
"What about Sirmus? Or Remius? Do we really need a couple name at all?"
"God, Moony, let me be hip and original"
He only does this in private. Well, as private as you can get. All Gryffindors in our year know now except from Alice and Lucinda, who CANNOT keep secrets no matter how hard they try.
I'm sitting on the crimson sofa one night with a checkered blanket Peter lent me, my head in a book. Sirius and James are singing along to Stayin' Alive on Lily's father's radio player.
"Boys, huh?", she says, leaning over my shoulder to see what I'm reading.
I smile. "Yeah"
She walks around and takes a seat next to me, undoing her top button on her blouse and loosening her tie.
"That thing has been strangling me all day", she sighs, rubbing her sore neck. "I wish I never showed them what CD's were", she says, sighing as the two of them hold the "Aliiiiiiive" bit way longer than they should in horrible singing voices.
"At least they're enjoying themselves", I suggest.
"I suppose. How was your date?", there it is. It's been a few days since but this was her first chance to ask.
"It was OK", I reply, not wanting to give too much detail.
She smirks, "Do you think he's cute?"
I can't help but smile and blush.
"I'm taking that as a yes"
Luckily Sirius can't hear any of this. He's stumbling his way across the lyrics, not quite having learnt every word yet. James is taking the lead, his fist raised by his mouth as if holding a microphone.
"I'm a werewolf", I whisper suddenly. It just kind of escapes, like it couldn't stay in any longer so had to slip out.
"What?"
"I'm a werewolf", I say in a hushed voice again.
"Really?"
"Yeah"
"Really?", she sounds skeptical.
I nod. "You don't have to believe me if you don't want to"
"No, it's just slightly shocking. So that's why you end up in the Hospital Wing every month?"
"Yeah"
"I knew you were lying when you said about the centaur, they stay right at the back of the forest. Do the others know?", she jerks her head towards James and Sirius and Peter, who's writing out some Divination homework.
"Yeah, I told them a little while ago"
"Oh. Is it, like, the same day every month? I don't know much about the moon"
"No, it's different every time"
"Have you ever killed anyone?"
"No"
"Well that's good. Why have you got scars on your face, then? Do you get into fights with other creatures in the forest?"
"No, I go to the Shrieking Shack. Those creepy wails and cries people hear from the building is just me. I have scars everywhere, but it's because I hurt myself"
"On purpose?"
"No. I can't help it"
"That's sad"
I shut my book. "Yeah, I suppose it is"