Believe in Me- Chapter 50: Mistakes

Flora had no choice but to do as the text said. Of course, they were instructions from Kate. Something big was about to happen. So, she grabbed her coat the was hung over the chair arm and made her way downstairs, as quietly as possible. The street was dark, but was lit with an orange glow. A cab came past which Flora called over and clambered into. She knew that the pool Kate was on about was the pool that Sherlock and John had made their proper introduction to Jim. The cab side was silent, except for the radio that's was on low volume and regardless of the warm-ish weather, Flora felt cold. But she sort of knew what Kate was planning ever since she said the words 'sacrifice yourself.' Sherlock died for her and John, now it was her turn to repay to favour. The Moriartys would do anything to get to Sherlock, even if it meant taking the long route. Maybe she would die tonight, maybe not. It was all up to fate. Flora, despite it being a horrible thing to think about, was prepared to die for her friends. Again. The first time she considered an accident. Someday, Moriarty would get to Sherlock and then it would be a game of who would win, but that's a story for the future. Right now, Flora had to focus on one thing. Survival.

The cab came to a holt, she paid the cabbie and climbed out. He drove off leaving Flora on the darkened pavement. She scanned the area, looking for any signs of life; only the small amount of passing cars. She made her way over to the entrance of the pool, knowing the door would be unlocked, so she made her way in. The corridor to the pool itself was as dark and dusty, though it was walked in nearly everyday. Flora could barely see a thing until she found the main doors. Opening them with a haunting creek, she spotted Kate Moriarty on the far side, her back turned. She wore her usual calf-length black coat and match heels. Black, of course, was the colour of death. A usual thing for the Moriartys.

"Good evening, Miss Grey," Kate greeted, still not facing Flora. "I'm extremely surprised you came. Looks like you shouldn't have stayed at Baker Street, otherwise you may not have been here." She then turned around, a small and devious smile crept on her face and her deep blue eyes looked sinister. "Dearest Sherlock is going to miss you."

"I'm not going to die," Flora stated firmly.

Kate chuckled. "You seem so confident about that."

"I am."

"Wonderful. Then that's going to make this more entertaining for us all," she walked closer to Flora, but stopping just before the midway point of the side of the pool. "Come," Kate pointed to the spot in front of her. Flora reluctantly did as she was told, taking slow steps towards the criminal. She shuddered as she stopped and gazed into Kate's menacing eyes.

"You do never stand that one day, if not today, you, Sherlock and everybody else with crumble," Kate told her with a dark grin that intimidated Flora.

"You dream to much," Flora said trying to hide her fear.

Kate laughed. "Dreams are for children. I'm talking about reality."

"Yeah, that won't happen."

"Will it not?"

"No."

"Hmm... We'll see," she paused. "Talking of reality- what to do with you now?"

"Let me go?" Flora suggested, though that would never happen.

"You wish," Kate slipped her hands into her coat pockets and looked thoughtful. "How about the way our acquaintanceship started with the detective and his blogger. A nice bomb of sorts should sort you out."

Flora's expression turned from lifeless to shock and her face looked pale. "W-what!?"

"You heard me," Kate took a few steps back. "You'll have a blast."

"That wasn't appropriate," Flora scowled. "What have I ever done to deserve this?"

"You got involved with Sherlock Holmes," she replied calmly. "Bad idea."

Flora was silent. She couldn't fully understand, but why use her to get to Sherlock? Kate couldn't exactly get to him at this moment in time, he was out with John on what seems like a case. Her heart was now racing with true fear. She had to try and stop or at least stall Kate. It seemed near impossible though.

"There's plenty of other people that are worthy of dying," Flora said.

"Yes, but they're criminals, you see. We need them."

"You don't and the world doesn't."

"Who cares about the world?" Kate outstretched her arms. She reminded Flora of when Sherlock took his fall. "We were all born to die, whatever goes on in this tragic place doesn't change that. Might as well get it over and done with, hadn't we?"

Flora looked away from Kate and gazed at the rippling pool. The waves making light splashes against the side and the water reflected the light, giving of flashes. She started for a while, thinking of a plan. Eventually, one popped into her head. The question is: would it work?

"So that's the plan," Kate said at last. "Dearest Sherlock comes, you say your goodbyes and then you go up in flames."

Flora looked to her feet and sighed. She would go along with her plan, but right now, she would just have to accept. "As you wish."

"Marvellous," Kate gave a devilish smile, showing of her pearly white teeth. "It's been a pleasure doing business with you, Miss Grey. I will miss you. You've been a big help." She turned and left through the door a few metres away from where she stood, the sound of her heels echoing until she couldn't be seen. Flora was now alone, almost breaking down.

We were born to die.

Kate was right, but some people had to die sooner than others and Flora wasn't planning on being one of them. She sat down on the tiled floor, crossing her legs and taking out her phone. She twiddled it in her hands for a moment, feeling the cool metal of the casing. She was going to have to tell Sherlock. So, she sent a text:

Meet me at the pool.

Tell John I'm sorry.

I've made a mistake.

-Flora

She re-read the message a couple of times, then put her phone away. Flora then sat in absolute silence waiting for the arrival of Sherlock and their inevitable end...