'Mama!' Tomas' voice thundered, reverberating all around the house.

'She will never be a Casiraghi. I will never accept her.'

'I do not see the emergency,' Tomas spoke quietly. 'I will take my leave,' he turned away.

'I told you, you do not care!' Keres charged. 'You care not about me or this damn house that has no hot water. You do not care about me anymore!'

Tomas stopped in his tracks, dragging his eyes over his shoulder at his mother, but her face was covered with her hands. Without a word he stormed downstairs to the basement. Tomas angrily ripped off his jacket and flung it on the floor. He squinted his eyes in the darkness as he attempted to find the light switch. It was dusty and filthy down in the basement. The heat was stifling. Tomas darted his arm across his face to wipe of the bead of perspiration on his forehead. A methodical and laborious inspection found the electrical system to be in order. He scanned the vast plumbing system. Crawling on fours, he followed the plumbing pipes, searching for any faulty pipes or leaks. Feeling the perspiration soaking his shirt, he ripped that of, and continued his investigation.

'Tomas! Caro?'

'Here,' Tomas answered. 'Mind the ladder,' he cautioned.

'Good heavens. It's like a furnace---.' Gabriella's voice deserted her as she stared at the half naked Tomas. She could not peel her eyes away from the rippling muscles and bulging sinew. His body was arresting, tempting as sin and made to touch and stroke.

'What are you doing down here?' Tomas smiled.

'I---,' she dragged her eyes up to his. 'You've been here so long,' she stepped closer to him.

'It's not an electrical fault,' Tomas swiped his arm across his face. 'I'm just checking the plumbing. There are a lot of pipes,' he laughed. Silently, he was feeling the frustration of not finding the fault quick enough.

'Glad you're still not angry caro,' she boldly lifted her index finger to his cheek.

Tomas stopped laughing. 'I'm sorry if mama embarrassed you.'

Gabriella lifted her eyes to Tomas. 'Keres just wanted ---the best for you caro.'

'I'm a big boy,' he shifted away. 'Mama need not try to wrap me in cotton wool.'

'Would you like something caro?'

'Scusi?' Tomas turned towards Gabriella.

Gabriella took the single step that bridged the gap between them. Her eyes locked with his, she lifted her palm to his bare chest. 'It is rather hot down here caro,' she murmured seductively. 'I thought perhaps you would want a drink,' her scarlet finger nails raked over the dusty hairs on his chest.

Tomas gripped her wrist and dropped it unceremoniously, 'a cold drink perhaps thank you,' he turned his back to Gabriella and knocked a wrench forcefully against a rusty pipe.

Her eyes narrowed. She angled her chin purposefully. Gabriella heaved a heavy sigh and marched away to get Tomas a soft drink.

       Alina checked her mobile. There were no text messages or any missed calls. For the third time in the last ten minutes her eyes fell to her wrist watch. It was thirteen twenty.

Where the hell are you Tomas?

Alina looked in the mirror at the tangerine bandage style dress draped over her curvy figure.

I think it is too short. I don't like it.

She had sought Caroline's advice on what to wear. She had not told her sister of her husband's passing words to "wear something sexy," but she'd wanted to please Tomas. When he would walk through the door and lay eyes on her, Alina wanted to feel appreciated...sexy. When Tomas would look at her, she wanted his chocolate eyes to melt with desire.

Alina's stomach pinched with hunger. She had made a roast chicken with deep fried potatoes and creamed spinach for Caroline and Emily. She had already served them lunch, thinking she was going to enjoy a romantic date with her husband at one of the fancy restaurants. If she did not have a bite to eat now, she was going to faint, for she had skipped breakfast, only having a glass of orange juice. Tired of pacing around their bedroom, Alina ripped off her dress. Donning a costume, under a pair of shorts and a T shirt, she went in search of Emily.

'Hey Emily, you want to go for a swim?'

'I thought you are going out Aunt Alina. Why did you take your pretty dress off?'

'It seems Tomas is running late,' Alina offered half heartedly. 'It's too beautiful to stay indoors.'

'That's a good idea,' Caroline quickly threw in. She could see the disappointment in her little sister's eyes. 'I think I'll join you too,' Caroline smiled.

'Are you sure?' Alina laughed.

'Yes,' Caroline laughed as well.

'Okay---I'll get Shay to help me wheel you down. 'Want to put on one of my costumes?' Alina grinned.

'No,' Caroline smiled. It was torture trying to weave her dead legs in the pool. It just used up too much energy. 'I'll just sit on the edge and dip my feet in.'

'Let's go then,' Alina smiled.

All the time she was with her family at the pool, Alina was furious that Tomas had not even the decency to call her and let her know he was running late. He always had his bloody mobile phone plastered to his ear, what was his excuse for not calling? And didn't he know she was eagerly waiting to have lunch with him?

      'Is he gone? Is my Tomasa gone?' Keres sobbed.

Gabriella glared at the infuriating woman, and wished for the umpteenth time she could shut up. She silently cursed herself, not for the first time, for agreeing to join the old goat on this trip to Greece. Gabriella only came, thinking she would be sharing the house with Tomas. She had hoped to use the opportunity to seduce Tomas on this trip and make him realize he'd made a mistake marring the pitiful wench.

My Tomas is wasted on that scruffy misfit. She is no match for him. My poor caro, she probably does not know how to satisfy his ravenous appetite.

'No,' Gabriella smiled patiently. 'Tomas is in the basement, checking out the plumbing,' she poured a tall glass of chilled soda for Tomas. 'I'm taking him a soft drink,' she lowered her eyes that glinted with mischief.
And it is the perfect setting for my seduction.
Dio in cielo! What normal woman can resist the man, when he takes his shirt of for you? Now how do I get a picture of my topless caro and I leaked to the media or to that hapless loser he married.

Gabriella smiled wickedly. She dipped her head to look at her shapely cleavage and purposefully opened a second button on her blouse. She darted her eyes across at Keres and wondered if the old hag could be roped in as an accomplice. Could she be relied upon to snap an incriminating photograph? Would she take a decent photo?
Could the pathetic nag be trusted upon, not to screw up my picture perfect opportunity?

     - end chapter twenty five-