Day 8

chapter 9: memory 8

DEDICATED TO: mentalformendes because i luv her ok

~*~

Mary's POV (this is right after Cameron left in the last chapter)

The pain in my chest wouldn't go away as I sat in my room, looking at the polaroid pictures scattered all over my bed. I stared at the one of Cameron and tears rolled down my cheeks. How could he lie to me like that? I was right when I said I didn't know him. I really don't know him.

Everyone could be lying to me and I wouldn't know because I can't remember a thing.

Everything is just so frustrating. I want to remember things so badly but nothing will come to mind. What makes it worse is I feel something coming to me but it just won't click in my brain. It's like when you're trying to remember the name of a song and it's on the tip of your tongue, but you just can't think of the name. It's just so aggravating.

My phone that I never get on starts buzzing on the table beside my bed. I just look at it with no motivation to reach over and grab it. All I really wanted to do was chuck it at my wall, so it would break and never buzz obnoxiously again.

I grabbed it anyway, seeing Cameron's name on my screen. Seeing his name made me sick to my stomach.

"You liar!" I scream at my phone. I wanted to scream at Cameron and tell him that he hurt me. But when I looked him in the eye, I couldn't. I couldn't say anything. I throw my phone on my carpeted floor and hide my face in my hands.

I tried to hold in my sobs, and when I couldn't hold them in I let them out as quietly as possible.

The thing is, half of me actually doesn't want to remember anything. At the same time I'm just so curious about my life and nobody seems to want to answer some of my questions. Well maybe there is one person I haven't tried to ask yet...

I grab my phone again, going to my contacts. I search for Shawn, hoping that was his name in my phone because I wasn't really sure. I found his contact under the name 'Shawn Mendes' and at first I hesitated to call him.

When I finally did, he answered with a happy, "Hello Mary."

"Hi Shawn." I say quietly and cautiously.

"What's the matter?" he asks in a concerned tone on the other line.

"I have a question." I avoid his question.

"Okay, ask me anything."

"Were you there the night of the, um, accident?"

I was tired of the word 'accident.' It annoyed me because it was used so much around me. The 'accident' is the reason for all of my problems right now.

"Yes, I was."

"How come nobody helped me stop Cameron?" I asked.

It's silent on the other line at first until I hear him sigh. "Everyone was just as drunk as him..."

"And?"

"Nobody was really paying attention at the time. It was just Diana and Raine and a few others that didn't even know you guys out there. I wasn't out there; I was just told the story about what happened."

"So...?"

"So... you were probably the only person at the party that wasn't drunk."

"Why couldn't I stop him, Shawn? It was all my fault; I was the one who couldn't stop him."

"Stop, Mary." Shawn says. It's demanding but he uses such a sweet and soft voice at the same time. "It wasn't your fault. Do not blame yourself."

"Then whose fault was it?"