Chapter Thirty-Five: Overheard Conversations

Levi woke up the following day and did his usual routine; shower, get dressed, make sure everything in his room was clean, then walk to the dinning hall to get breakfast. When he walked into the room filled with noise, the talking dialed down slightly because everyone's attention turned to the person who had just entered the room. After glancing at the staring cadets with a bored look, Levi got his usual -- black tea and bread. He then sat down lazily at the table he sits at everyday, next to Hanji. 

"Hey, have you guys seen Alex at all?" Eren asked loud enough for Levi to hear. He paused, cup in hand, and stared at the table Eren was sitting at. Everyone except Reiner shook their heads. "No, maybe she's still sleeping?" Sasha suggested and took a bite out of her bread. Connie nodded in agreement then went back to talking to Armin about something. 

"Still sleeping.. Yeah that's probably it," Levi thought. After all, she was out late at night. Shrugging the doubtful feeling off, Levi continued to ignore Hanji's rants and drink his favored black tea. 

"Hey, Reiner. You okay?" Eren asked observing the blonde that was more than half asleep on his hand. Reiner blinked and sat up straight, started, "Huh?"

Eren snorted, "I asked if you were okay. What, did you stay up to late hiding from Alex?" Reiner blinked away the blurriness and rubbed his eyes. "Yeah.." Reiner lied smoothly. Eren gave him a questioning look then quickly replaced it with an amused one and started laughing at him. After he was done laughing, he started arguing to Jean about something stupid. Reiner looked over at his tall friend who was silently talking to Christa. Bertholdt looked up at Reiner and Reiner just gave him the 'head nod' towards the door. Bertholdt gave him a questioning look, but agreed and sat up. 

"Bert and I are going to start training now, see you guys soon," Reiner lied and received a small amount of not caring nods. Reiner stood up and followed Bertholdt out the door. Levi stared at the two boys as they walked out of the dinning hall. 

"And then it-" Hanji started with the rest of her story (that Levi did not give one fuck about) but ended up stopping in the middle of her sentence as Levi stood up. "What, wait, where are you going?" Hanji rambled. Levi looked at her with bored and tired eyes, "Why should I tell you?" Hanji pouted and turned to Mike to continue her story.

"What is it?" Bertholdt asked after they stepped out of the room. It was just him and Reiner in the hallway. 

"I saw Alex throw a piece of paper in the fire last night then go to Levi's office. When she walked out, she was carrying something and was wearing this black cape like she was going somewhere. So I followed her and we ended up in the underground at this bar. But when she walked out these guys kidnapped her," Reiner said frustratingly. Bertholdt's eyes widened. 

"What? Were they..?"

Reiner nodded, "Yep. They were-"

"What are you two idiots doing out here?" Levi asked coldly. Both men jumped out of surprise and stared at Levi with wide eyes. Did he hear them? 

"I- uh- we-"

"We were about to start doing extra training," Reiner lied. Levi eyed him for a couple seconds then turned and walked to his office. The two men let out a breath of relief. 

"Do you think he heard us?" Bertholdt asked worriedly. Reiner shook his head, "I doubt it." Bertholdt nodded and started walking to the training grounds with Reiner following closely behind, both of them dropping the subject do to risk of someone hearing them. 

Levi sat in his wooden chair, thinking. He hadn't heard their whole conversation, just pieces of it. The words 'followed,' 'underground,' and 'kidnapped' grabbed his attention. Who were they talking about? Was it Alex? No, it couldn't be. It was probably someone else. But he knew it wasn't someone else. He had sent Alex to the underground last night, and she hasn't been seen since. Levi got up from his chair and walked out of the room, deciding to check her room. It was still possible that she was still sleeping. The travel to the underground and headquarters was about thirty minutes on horse, but Alex didn't take her horse, so it was probably around fifty -- give or take.

As Levi walked, he passed a girl named Holly Vanbree. She had been in the Survey Corps for awhile now -- she was in the 103 Cadet Class. Levi knew she had feeling towards him, but he didn't acknowledge it. Holly smirked when she saw him then quickly replaced it with a wide smile when he noticed her. 

"Hi, Corporal." Holly chimed, only to have Levi glance at her then continue walking without saying a word. After he passed her, her face turned in to scowl and she glared at the floor. 

"Oh! There you are, I've been looking everywhere for you!" Terra, a friend of Holly's, said loudly and ran up to the blonde girl. Holly rolled her eyes then smiled as Terra pulled on her arm, dragging her somewhere. But Holly's eyes glared at the hallway Levi had walked down. 

Levi, on the other hand, stood outside Alex's door. He knocked first -- maybe she was changing? -- but got no response. Frowning, he turned the handle and opened the door. He stepped in and observed her clean room. Everything was clean, even the bed was made which surprised Levi. But there was no sign of Alex, or any other form of life in the quiet room. Levi walked out of the room and closed the door behind him. 

He didn't know why he cared so much, but it was understandable he was worried. Alex was different with her powers, it could be dangerous if someone took her. Levi straightened his posture and put on a blank face, and started walking to his office to write an important letter to Erwin. 

"Why would someone take her?"

"Now that she's gone, he will eventually see."

"Dammit, why did he have to get her first?"

----------------------------------------------------------
This is what's currently going on at headquarters.
The last three lines are from three different people, take your guess of who and what they mean.
Next chapter will be what's going on with Alex.. so yeah. 

COMMENTS!
Who's this Holly chick, and what does she planning?
Who took Alex?
Why did Reiner follow Alex? And why didn't he stop them from taking her?
Why are Reiner and Bertholdt worried, mad and upset that someone took her?
What's the connection with all this?
And.. what will happen next?
 - sorry for any mistakes -
-  comments keep me motivated bro -