Chapter 29

Kellen POV;

By the afternoon, Dad and I had manage to complete the basic draft for the letter which would be sent out to every werewolf family in the North, as well as arrange meetings with each of the Alpha's who'd called today to discuss the policy. Heading out of the study on my way to look for Maxim, I pass Mom on the stairs reading through some files in her hands. "Have you seen Maxim?" I ask curiously, pausing mid-step.

"Yes dear." Mom smiles, carrying on down the stairs. "He was heading to the library when I passed him a few moments ago. Incidentally, I've allowed Bell to have some friends over so please both of you be dears and don't cause trouble. I've got work to do and I don't wish to be disturbed by hearing you've both been causing trouble." She calls over her shoulder, pausing to give me a 'look' before turning the corner.

Briefly, I ponder what work Mom could be doing and then figure it must be something to do with the meeting I heard her confirm on the phone to her dressmaker, for tomorrow at 4pm... a memory now serving as a reminder of why I should never walk in on Mom mid-phone call. Definitely not worth the scolding! I find Maxim in the library piling up a hefty amount of books. "Hey bro," He greeted, glancing up from the volume he held. "What's up?"

"What the heck you doing?" I ask curiously. A few of the book titles caught my eye; Origins of Werewolves, Finding Finance; A Guide to Mastering the Economy, The characteristics, strengths & weakness of werewolves.

"Honestly...I have absolutely no idea!" He laughed sheepishly, swiftly closing the book and laying it on top of the pile he'd already collected. "Bell's got friends over so Sophia's gone to join them. To save myself from complete uselessness and utter boredom, I came in here looking for answers..."

"Y'know Mom will kill you for making a mess in here." I smirk, nudging him and nodding towards the strewn out books and piles of paper scattered across the floor of the impressively grand room. I could practically hear Mom already yelling 'It's criminal! Absolutely criminal! Spewing the library's wisdom all over the floor to compensate for your scattered thoughts. Its an insult!'

"Yeah...well... I'm completely hopeless without Soph around! Seriously Kel, how the hell are you managing it?" I smirk again at the look of wonder on his face.

"Honestly...I have absolutely no idea either." I repeat, throwing his words back at him jokingly before grabbing his head and nuggying him. "I'm sure Mum already told you that we're not allowed to cause any trouble cause she's working and Bell's go friends over?"

Wrestling his way out of my grip and hitting me, "Yeah but we're going to anyway, right?" He grinned ruthlessly as we left the library and headed out into the corridor.

Throwing him my cheeky smile, "Obviously," I answer, knowing Mom would probably go to work out in her outhouse study. "But first, I came to pull you into the study for a little bit. I'd like us to get started on our financial forecast and arrange some funding plans for the packs. Dad's in there at the minute, compiling all the information we're going to need."

"Sure thing. What should I do about in there?" He asks, pointing to the library.

"Dunno, but I'm gonna love seeing the show when you tell Mom you ruined her shrine; I'm booking front row seats." I grin evilly.

A sly, cheeky look appears suspiciously in Maxim's eye, "Last one to reach the study has to tell Mum!" He yells, taking off down the hall. I bolt after him, no way did I want to be the one to face Mom's wrath; the library, next in line to the garden, was her favourite place in the house, not to mention her pride and joy. If I lost this race, which I had no intention of doing, I'd have to charm some of the housekeepers into clearing it on Maxim's behalf so Mom wouldn't notice. Lazy idiot.