Chapter 22

(PLEASE READ NOTE AT END!!!!!)

Anastasia POV;

The week preceding the fight I spent on strict bed rest under the watchful eye of my Mum who, convinced of my now being recovered enough, was currently rounding up medical supplies, which would be handed over to Anya- our pack doctor- when she arrived with Chanel to take me home.

As I pack my things one handed, I start to think about ways to say what I knew I had to, to my pack, since I’d told Rick to call a pack meeting for when I arrived back. Admitting it to myself, I was worried about how they might react to the news of me being the Prince’s mate.

A knock at the door pulls me from my thoughts, turning to the door I watch as Mum’s head appears. “Hey sweetie, Anya’s here with Chanel. You all packed?” she asks gently before dropping her gaze to my bed where a pile of clothes lay waiting to be packed. Coming out from behind the door, she walks to the bed and starts folding. “What’s on your mind Ana baby?”

Shrugging in reply, I pause briefly as I try to word everything going on in my head. “I…m…worried…about how the pack will react when I tell them” I sigh, answering heavily.

“They’re your pack Ana, they’ve always accepted you and this won’t change that. You’re an incredible leader and I am sure they will understand,” For a moment nothing was said as we continued packing. “Is that all?” Asks Mum, glancing at my face and seeing through the expression there.

“He blames himself,” I murmur quietly. My charming Prince blamed himself for my injuries, thinking that if he’d been protecting me more it wouldn’t of happened…how wrong he is. His mind was forlorn and his wolf guilt stricken by what I had suffered. I hid from him how these thoughts of his made my longing for him that much stronger, and more prominent, it was boarding on painful! The separation currently reaching unbearable, if I didn’t seem him soon I’d go crazy.

“Why?!” Asked Mum, turning to face me, surprised. Having finished folding and packing my things, I now had her full attention.

“He thinks if he’d been protecting me fully, like he should’ve been, I wouldn’t have been hurt” I sigh, “I need him. To see him, to be with him, to comfort him but I can’t! It’s too dangerous! Ugh!” I sat down exasperated and drop my head into my hands. “I hate this…”

“Oh Ana! Baby listen, we all make difficult decisions; they might be painful but it’s usually for the best. You do it effectively and effortlessly sweetie, its what makes you a good leader. Just remember that even the strongest of people have their weak moments.” Spoke Mum kissing my forehead affectionately. “I’ll take your things down for you.”

Upon being left alone, I put to work sorting myself out mentally for what had to come next. Where Kellen was involved I decided to leave those thoughts for when I could really give them attention, however, where my pack were involved I took a few settling, calming breaths before standing up straight, squaring my shoulders and walking swiftly out the door.

Saying my goodbyes to my family didn’t take as long as I hoped and in what seemed like no time at all, Chanel was driving me home with Anya following behind in a separate car. Time seemed unwilling to give me my extra moments as we pulled up onto the drive, where had the long journey gone so quickly?  As soon as we parked up, I got out and was about to get my bags but found Chanel already carrying them towards the door. Anya followed her, but stopped and came to stand next to me when she saw that I’d frozen. “Is something wrong?” she asked her eyes falling to my arm resting in a sling.