Give Me A Long Kiss Goodnight

“Diana. There’s a nice name.”

“I can’t believe you’ve only thought of two guys names.”

“It’s GOING... to be... a girl. I can fell it in my guts. A mother knows.” I rolled my eyes. I couldn’t believe they were still going on about this. It had been continuing since mom had brought it up. But what was really irratating me was Jessica. She knows. She knows everything. I glanced over at Joey, who kept his eyes glued on the t.v. I noticed Jakob looking at me. I gave him a sour glare, which caused him to look away.

Sorry little shit.

And I thought Billie was bad. At least I know, if it were him, he wouldn’t go telling his mates about it. I made a mental note to slaughter that boy.

“Maybe I should go retro, y’know? Maybe my wedding dress could be... blue,” mom said, changing the subject sparatically. “Maybe it doesn’t even need to be a normal colour, maybe it could be a metallic colour!”

“Just make it white, Sammie, stop trying to be Katy Perry,” Billie sighed, obviously fed up with her constant planning. “I can’t believe I’m re-marrying already...”

“Why, you’re not having second thoughts, are you?” mom asked, turning her head to look at him. “I’m gettnig carried away, aren’t I? I knew it, I knew I shouldn’t have went flying into the news and stuff...” Billie pulled her towards him, wrapping his arms around her.

“No way, Sammie. You’re the love of my life.”

Hand me the sick bucket, somebody.

“Yea, that’s probably what you said about Adrienne too,” she muttered. I half expected Billie to get angry at that, but instead he just laughed.

“Hey, don’t pin that divorce on me!” Billie said, pushing her playfully.

“Who’s Adrienne?” Hollie asked, looking up from her fake tea party.

“No one, sweetie,” mom said.

“But I want to know,” Hollie ordered.

“She’s my mom,” Joey said, simply. It was enough for Hollie to understand though.

“Ohhhh. Where is she now?”

“God knows, as long as she’s away from here,” mom muttered, careful not to let the boys or Billie Joe hear her. Mom can be a jealous sort of person in situations. This happened to be one of them.

I was sitting on the floor, leaning against one of the armchairs with Joey right behind me, my knees drawn up to my chest. Joey got up off the sofa, walking out of the room toward the kitchen. I watched him leave, studying his every move. He looked groggy, and stressed. Curious. I sprang up to follow him. I saw him leaning against the table. He defintely looked distressed about something. Like something was really getting to him, eating away at him. I knew what that felt like. He sighed and looked at the ground. I could only assume what he was thinking about, but I knew it was right. I walked into the kitchen.

“Are you thinking about what Jessica did?” I asked, closing the kitchen door. He looked up, startled.

“Wha- oh... yea,” he said, closing his eyes as to try and make the thought go away.

“I didn’t know until today,” I said. “What was she doing out in the rain anyway?”

“I dunno, does that really matter?” Joey asked. I shook my head and chewed at my bottem lip, leaning next to him.

“No...” I said, only barely making a sound out of my mouth at all. “I was just... I was just trying to figure out how she got us at first.”