CHAPTER 21 - coverup

I sit on the train with my knees held to my chest, alongside all my friends. The late afternoon air filling the carriage, not too hot but not too cold.

We started doing our fear landscapes for ourselves yesterday. Apparently they go in order of least scared too most horrific. Yesterday I got oblivion, this morning I got claustrophobia. Yesterday evening Eric and I did more training, it feels so normal to be back on good terms with him.
They decided to bring us on a field trip today, but wouldn't tell us where to.

"These fear landscapes aren't as bad as the fears in stage two" Adam speaks up.
"Yeah at least we know it's not real this time around" I agree.
"We should all do something together tonight, like get another tattoo. I feel like we haven't spent an evening together in forever" guilt floods my body as I realize that it's my fault. I always train with Eric every evening.
"Sounds good to me" I make sure I'm the first to answer. I can miss one training evening.

"Where do you think they're taking us?" Harry pitches into the conversation for the first time all morning, he's been really quiet lately.
"I bet they're bringing us to the fence" jack suggests.
The fence is giant high wall that surrounds the city. People say it protects us, that's what we've always been told. I don't know if it's because I'm claustrophobic but I feel trapped by it sometimes.
"No the trains not going to the end of the line. It's going the other way so I doubt it's the wall"
As if on cue the train comes to a screeching holt. I look outside and see that we are in the factionless sector. I look up and meet my eyes with Eric from across the car, he smiles a small smile that will go unnoticed by the others, but I saw it.

"Today we will be helping some of the factionless. Our job as dauntless is to protect everyone inside the fence. Depositing supplies and breaking up fights. You will also speak with people, families. From this you will learn how easy you really have it in Dauntless." Tobias's voice fills the car.
"Don't remember us transferring to abnegation" Theo jokes with his friends.
He just got out of the infirmary this morning. Eric wanted to throw him out but we had no solid evidence he did anything to me. He broke the camera in the hallway before the attack.

"Don't remember asking for you to speak, Theodore" I snigger at Eric's use of Theo's full name.
"Everybody out, split into two groups, one half of you will deposit supplies with four, the other half will break up fights with me"
I leap from the train car and automatically all of my friends pile over beside my brother, beckoning me to be with them. However I just stand beside Eric. The anger on Adam, jack and Danny's faces is complete turmoil. Harry doesn't look to bothered, Jane sends me a wink and is on her way as they follow Tobias.

I turn around to Eric who advises people to go off and look for any fights that may have broken out. Everyone splits up at his words and I'm left alone with Eric.
"Is this a normal thing for Dauntless to be doing is it?" We unconsciously begin to walk down one of the streets in the factionless sector.
"Not particularly no"
"Well then why are we doing this?"
"A pretty wise girl made me see that the factionless need our help, I'm here to give it to them"
"When you say pretty wise, do you mean like I'm really wise or pretty and wise" I smile a little when I see a light blush spread across his cheeks.
"You'll never know"
Our conversation is interrupted by a loud argument in the distance.

+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+

"That was such a waste of time!" jack jokes as we walk through the cave like corridors of Dauntless. I bite my lip, I don't think it was a waste of time.
"They need help, we had to" Harry speaks up.
"We should have let the amity do it though" Jane agrees but Adam shakes his head.
"I'll have to agree with Harry on this" I smile at his confidence as we all make our way inside the tattoo parlor.

I see Tori and Mark sitting behind the counter. I meet with Tori's eyes as I approach the counter.
"Hey Alex, what can I do for you?"
"I'd like a tattoo please tori"
She gestures me over to one of the seats. I give her a wary look before whispering to her.
"I'd like a full back tattoo please, in a private room"
"Once a stiff always a stiff eh" She jokes as we walk into a private room. She locks the door behind her. I sit in the chair and tori looks into my eyes. She gestures for me to remove my shirt, I take a deep breath. I pull off my top and bra, turning away quickly.

Tori gasps as she sees my back.
"What happened your back Alex?" She sounds really concerned.
"It's not important. Don't ask." I know she probably has an idea of what happen to me. They are clearly belt marks. I just don't want to confirm it. Eric and Tobias are the only people who know for sure.
"Okay. So any idea what your going for?" She tries to act as if she didn't just see my back full of scars.
"Two wings. One on each of my shoulders going to my mid back"
"Don't you want a coverup for this? That won't achieve one" she says ushering to my scars.
"I don't want a coverup, my past is my past. I don't want to forget what happened to me, I want to remember how for I've come. I want to be able to see it every morning and be like 'I'm here now' "
"Your one tough kid" I laugh lightly at her dark humor.
"Okay let's get started then"