X.I

The only light on that dark night shone from the moon

The only light on that dark night shone from the moon. I almost missed you, your head bowed low, hood covering your tanned skin. I nearly walked past you, unsuspecting and unaware, until I felt the burn of the mark on my arm, drawing me closer and closer to you.

That is when I noticed the small dagger tucked into your cloak, gleaming almost as much as your turquoise eyes in the moon. You slipped into the house closest to us, eyes moving back and forth to be sure no one watched you. Somehow, though, you missed me.

Only a few seconds later, a shrill scream made its way to my ears, and my hair stood on end, remembering the sharpness of the dagger you carried. My heart leapt into my throat, eyes burning with the fear that I had lost you in this life before I had even had a chance to know you.

Wanting to investigate, pleading silently with whatever entity ruled us, I began moving slowly towards the home. Just as I made my way to the doorway you had disappeared through, you walked out, hood dropping and revealing your beautiful face.

Your eyebrows were drawn, eyes focused on the blade in your hands. Gripping the hilt, you began to wipe the liquid from the dagger. As you resheathed the newly cleaned blade, you surveyed your surroundings, eyes meeting mine.

We were so close that I could touch you. Close enough that I heard the swear word leave your lips. "Cazzo."

So close that I saw the flash of an odd emotion in your eyes before I felt your dagger against the skin of my throat.

"What is it that you saw?"

When I didn't respond, you dug the blade further into my neck. I felt warm liquid licking the skin of my throat and I realized how serious you truly were.

"You know, this means I have to kill you too. So if you have anything to say to perhaps make this better for yourself, I suggest you do so now." I mumbled something that eludes me now, but whatever it was made u move the dagger slightly from my throat, allowing me to breathe a little easier.

"I saw nothing." My voice was hoarse, but you knew what I said, eyes rolling.

"Of course you saw nothing. Who are you? Anybody of importance?"

I had to think quickly, as I had only recently begun living in Italy and knew very little about Italian nobility. I figured you would kill me on the spot if I told you that I was a nobody, so I lied. The Sforza's were the only nobility I could remember. "Massimiliano Sforza, only living son of the Duke of Milan."

Your eyes squinted a bit in disbelief. "My father was once married to a Sforza, so they are a distant relation of mine. Yet I have not heard of you."

"And who are you?" I hoped I could manage to pull this off, however I feared you were far too smart to believe me. I hadn't realized you had any ties to the Sforzas, and it would quickly become very clear that I was lying.