12 | Butterflies

UPON ENTERING THE dorm, another butter-colored envelope lay on the kitchen counter. With the same handwriting as before, it wrote:

To: Hadley Summers

Except this time, in the top left corner, it said: 

From: Anonymous

But with no luck, there still wasn't a return address or any other clues to who it could possibly be from. The feel of the smooth paper envelope in my hands sent subtle goosebumps to form along my arms.

"I found that right in front of the door when I came home about an hour ago. Someone must've slipped it under the door because I almost stepped on it when I came in," Ava said, standing in front of me after hearing the door open. "Well, what are you waiting for? Open it up."

"I'm scared for what it's gonna say, Ava. It's from that person who sent the last note."

"Well, you'll never know what they have to say next unless you open that up."

Exhaling a deep breath, I carefully tore the flap open, heart galloping faster with every fleeting moment. Pulling out the thin piece of paper, I warily unfolded it.

To: Hadley Summers

J is the name
that brings so much pain.
shackled am I by the chains
of the mistaken blame that remains.

"J is the name?" I mumbled under my breath, eyebrows scrunched as I attempted to decipher the next message.

"J? Like James?" Ava sprouted from beside me, reading the note over my shoulder.

I gave an incredulous look, "Why would it be James of all people?"

"Well, he's the only person that we know that has a name that starts with a J," Ava suggested.

"Was Nicole home when you found this?"

Ava gave me a look, "I know what you're thinking, but no, she wasn't home at the time. And," she emphasized, "she nor Milo are the ones who are sending you these notes. From what it sounds like, these letters could be coming from a crazy ex of his. So relax, I'm sure these notes are nothing." She squeezed my shoulders, trying to ease my worries.

"You're right...you're right," I repeated, trying to convince myself. I was not the least bit convincing or convinced. She gave me another look, to which I responded, "Um, yeah, nope. I still don't believe in your theory."

"Ugh, you're impossible," complained Ava, rolling her eyes dramatically. She walked back to her room, dragging her feet defeatedly. I chuckled as I also made my way into my room.

Shutting the door gently behind me, I put the note back in the envelope and set it down on top of the previous one, which was sitting on my desk. Too lazy to go to the bathroom, I swiped away my mascara with a makeup wipe and slipped under the thin covers, letting sleep take over me.

"HOW'S EVERYTHING GOING over here, Hadley? You doing okay?" Professor Hyatt asked, sporting a soft smile. I nodded and she walked over to Milo, who turned his easel once again so I couldn't see his painting. Even though I thought my first idea wasn't the greatest at first, I ended up going with it.