Millionaires Secrets part 13

I hurried back to the office to tell John. He listened as I described the trailer.

"Did you try to deal him down?" John asked.

"No."

"Did you forget everything I taught you?" he asked.

"No."

"You know you could have talked him down by about two hundred dollars," he said.

"I know, but I was so excited that it was my first purchase of an investment property," I said.

"Okay did you make sure everything was there, because if not you'll have to buy it later." John said.

"Yes," I sheepishly said.

"Your my ward and I want you to succeed in everything you do. Next time make a list of things that's it's going to take for you to bring the trailer up to where it look nice enough for someone to rent it out, just like we do with the houses."

"Thanks for the advice John."

"Who knows this may the first step in you becoming a millionaire."

A smile appeared on my face. John knew that I wanted to be rich. He went back to reading his paper and I called around to find a place for the trailer, there were two that were cheap.  After work I bought two gallons of paint and cleaned then painted the outside. I worked until dark then cleaned up.

It was like I was working for John, but now it was my baby. The next day the manager had seen the paint job and asked Jimmy if I would like to sell it for one thousand dollars. I could have doubled my money but this was my first investment and I wanted to learn what it was like to be an invester.

I thought he could have offered me two thousand and I still would have said no. I was floating on a cloud, because I was doing this myself with no help from those fancy bankers and their sky high interest rates and points.

For the next two weeks I worked late painting the ceiling then putting in new carpet and repairing any thing broken. Jimmy watched me as worked on the trailer. He stopped me one day and we talked.

"I never would have guessed that you could have saved that old trailer, but you did," Jimmy said.

"Thanks," I said.

"I've been inside to check out your work and it looks very professional. Are you going to replace the toilet? he asked.

"Why should I do that?"

"Have you ever sold a trailer or rented out one to a woman?" he asked.

"No." I replied and began to wonder, where he was going with this.

"Us guys don't have that certain requirements that all women have when it comes to the bathroom. If there's the slightest smell of pee pee, they don't want the whole beautiful trailer," Jimmy said.

"Cleaning it up won't do?"

"I'm afraid not, and you need to replace the linoleum too," he said

in earnest.

"You really think I should replace it?" I asked.

"Yes, come with me," Jimmy said.

We walked to the very back of the of the property. There I saw what appeared to be a toilet graveyard.

"Isn't that a new toilet there?" I asked.

"Yes sadly some one broke into one of the new trailers and use the toilet repeatedly with no water," he said.

"That would aggravate me."

"It did all of us."

Why don't you throw all these away?"

"Because we use the parts off of them, especially some of the older models."

I took a sniff and it was horrible.

"You convinced me Jimmy," I said as we walked back.

"It will be worth it when you go to rent it out," he said.

"Thanks again Jimmy," I said as I picked up the bags of trash and put them in the car.