Twelve

“Tom? Tommy? What are you doing here?” the figure said, with an annoying preppy voice.

“Drinking some coffee, I guess?” Tom replied sarcastically.

“Well,” she said, sitting on the last chair unoccupied on our table, right next to Tom, and continued, “I was kind of missing you.”

I swear I couldn’t stand her voice a second more. She clung herself onto Tom, hugging him, while Tom tried backing her off in a kind way. Or at least that’s what I wanted to think.

“Holly, we were kind of talking about something privately with Lucifer” he said nodding at my way, “and we just want some time alone, you know?”

“Ooh, new girlfriend?” she said, now looking at my direction with a killer glance. “Haven’t seen you in Rancho before.”

“I just moved here, actuall-“

“Do I look like I care, honey?”, she said to me smiling, again with that high pitch voice of hers, interrupting me.

“Hey Tommy, wanna go to a party this Friday night? At my house, of course.”, the girl said.

“Look, I’m sorry. I’ve got plans, Holly. I’m afraid I won’t be able to make it.”, Tom said obviously lying, trying to avoid any further plans she might propose. (because after all, who would wanna hang out with a girl like her??)

This girl named Holly wore a confused expression on her face. “Hmm. You used to love parties. Looks like somebody haschanged;” she said rolling her eyes “or maybe this emo freak changed you. Who knows?”, and with that she let go of him and stood up.

She began to walk away from where we were sitting, but only made it to two tables afar from us when she turned to talk to Tom again.

“Call me, Tommy?” she said biting her lip, to make herself look hot although she failed, and afterwards mouthing the words “I miss you”.

After mouthing those three words, Holly finally left. I guessed this was Tom’s slutty ex-girlfriend he talked to me about; I mean who else could this slut be? The few things he told me about her, sounded exactly like this girl. The way she talked, her personality, her scent. It all described perfectly how Tom defined her ex-girlfriend, so therefore I had no doubt who this person was.

We sat there in complete silence, sipping our drinks for two minutes. I counted every second on my watch. I told myself that if he didn’t care to explain anything in the lapse of exactly two minutes, I would leave this famous coffee store without talking to him. I was beaming mad; I mean hella mad. He didn’t even introduce me or stand up for me when the slut called me a fucking ‘emo freak’.

I did like I planned and stood up to leave this damn place and just go home; it was getting late though. As I stood, he did a lame attempt to grab my hand so I would stay, but I shook him off and left this coffee scented hell. He didn’t follow me, although I wasn’t expecting him to. I wanted to create a dramatic exit, to signalize that I was upset about the way he had just treated me. Maybe I’m overreacting, but if you were in my shoes, you wouldn’t think so.

And Tom knew I was mad and he knew I had every right to.

Actually, on second thought, I really had no reason to be mad because of this whole incident between Tom and his ex-slut. And me. I mean we’re not a couple or anything; I shouldn’t have reacted that way. Hell, I don’t even know if he considers me as a friend. Well, this was a date I guess, right?

Right?

And also, on second thought (or third thought?), deep inside I really did want him to follow me from Starbucks 'til my bus stop; and maybe even come home and watch some movies with me. It was getting dark and it was freezing cold outside. I could use some company right now. After all, from now on, all I have is my mom when I come home from school; not that I ever had a lot of people who cared about me to start with.

And you know what? The more I come to think of Tom and this whole incident; the more jealous I get. And you know what else? I think I’m starting to believe that I’m falling for Thomas-fucking-DeLonge.