Chapter 26

Even though her nerves were on edge, the empress kept reminding herself not to panic. If Salem returned for her assistance it would be in a week not the next sunrise. Then she wrote out a few more incantations and chants before closing the spell-book. Popping the cork off of the wine bottle, then after pouring the first glass, gave it a slow sip. The empress wanted to think about anything right now except for vampires, demons or the ill-fated possibility of having to go to the underworld. 

Lighting a few more candles to give the room a nice glow of yellow-orange she leaned back in the chair and kept sipping at the contents of her goblet. She tried to calm her thoughts as well as the nerves. 

Once the first glassful had been depleted, she poured another. Soon her nerves were a little less frayed. After a little time to reflect, the empress rang for her apprentice and waited. It never took her long to respond. It took less than six minutes before the familar knock had made it to her door. 

 "Come in young one." She called out, skimming through another of her thousands of books. She needed to occupy her mind with beings of light. 

Amberosia cracked the door open slowly and peeked her head in to make sure nothing was terribly wrong.

"You needed me miss?" 

"Yes come sit down, please." Ralvania offered, knowing it would take her mind off of things.

Nodding to her the girl walked quickly, taking the chair across from her boss.

"Would you care for a glass?"  She offered.

"I'd like that, yes." 

The empress nodded, pouring the glass and handing it to her. 

"How's the studying?" She asked her young student in between sips. 

"I think It's been going a lot better the last couple of days."  She replied sipping a little here and there. 

"Great to hear. Thanks for joining me. I need to get my mind off being the empress for a couple hours." Ralvania told her.

"I'm more than happy to sit in here with you as well. I can imagine needing a break from it." Amberosia replied with empathy.