Chapter 3--Casper

Chapter 3

Casper

Part of me wishes I could know what goes on in Bay's mind. The other part, however, is not sure I ever want to find out for certain. 

Agreeing to let Ridge come along with us is a bit much. I know Willow said it was beneficial to have Ridge as an ally, but I'm not convinced. The scar on Ridge's neck sends chills down my spine. I don't trust him in the slightest, but Bay seems to.

Bay frustrates me. She's gorgeous, cunning, funny, sassy, but stubborn as all hell. When Bay sets her mind to something, she almost always gets what she wants. Out of all the things I've learned about this breathtaking girl in the past four months is that she definitely gets what she wants, when she wants it. It's frustrating to me because sometimes what she wants isn't always in her best interest. 

Take Ridge, for example. This is a bad idea. It has disaster written all over it in bold lettering. If Bay would have allowed me to get a word in, or simply listened to what I had to say, I would have strongly suggested we did anything other than letting Ridge come along. We now appear to be stuck with the awkward twenty year old, who bumbles about like an idiot. All I want to do these next days of traveling is get to New York.

I separate Bay and Ridge by walking in the middle. Last thing I need is him anywhere near Zachary. Something—and perhaps it is just a gut feeling—but something tells me to not trust Ferryweather. There's something so incredibly off about the guy and I wish I could figure out what. Besides, so what if I am jealous? Maybe I'm separating Bay from Ridge because I would not mind having her to myself. Regardless, even if I am jealous, I will always deny my jealousy if Bay asks about it. Bay is beautiful and any guy with eyes could see that.

Several times I have to jerk my stare away from Bay as she glances over at me. Not that I don't want to get caught, but I don't want to get caught. I can't seem to help myself. To be frank, she is beautiful. I wouldn't go as far to call it love, but I would say I am growing rather fond of the gorgeous, blue eyed girl.

I don't ever want to let Bay out of my sight because these feelings I harbor for her are unexplainable. But for now, I figured it best to avoid any unnecessary attachment. For now I'll settle with being her friend, because that's what she needs right now more than anything. When she has her nightmares, I will be there for her, ready to hold and comfort her as she so deserves.

I can't risk hurting her any further by voicing my feelings. Not after all she has been through. I know it has to be hard for her killing her father after only discovering that same day that he was still alive. Perhaps I am coming off as if I don't want anything to do with her because of how I present myself, such as when her lips get near to mine I freeze up and pull away before anything else can happen. I want Bay as more than a friend, but at this time our priorities lie elsewhere. Her focus, as well as mine, is to evacuate and hopefully save New York from its impending doom.

However, there is sweet temptation to break the friendly bond and to diverge into a relationship. But in a society like this, I can't afford to have feelings. This kills me inside out, but I know it has to be done. When the time is right, we can take our friendship to the next step if she so desires, but that time is not now.

"Willow?" I ask, not even bothering to acknowledge Ride as he glances at me.

His look says I am straight-up crazy. I roll my eyes as I see he still isn't wearing his helmet. The guy is truly an idiot, it seems. I have kept my helmet on the entire time, not even thinking about removing it. Bay had taken hers off momentarily but within seconds it was back on her head.