•9•

A/N

I'm sorry that it has taken me literal AGES to update, but I made this part hella long to make up for it. I hope you enjoy !

------------

For the next couple weeks, Spencer and I went on more and more dates. We even ended up seeing each other every single day one weekend. It was amazing getting to know him better. He truly was shy and considerate, but he was also incredibly funny. I loved that we were letting our walls down more.

"Your mother sounds lovely!" I said. Spencer was blushing and looking down at the sidewalk. He was walking me home from dinner. This was our first time seeing each other in over a week. He had had to travel for work again.

"She is. She really is." He gave gentle chuckle that seemed thick with nostalgia. "What are your parents like?"

"Well, my dad owns his own dental practice and my mum's a primary school teacher."

"That explains why your teeth are so nice."

I giggled. "That's an odd compliment, but thank you very much!"

"You have really good teeth! Why is that a weird thing for me to say?" I laughed harder and that made him join in. "I mean, obviously I'm not saying that it's your best quality!"

"You're so weird!" I said once I was calmed down. "But that's not a bad thing."

"Yeah, luckily you're pretty weird, too." I felt the back of his hand lightly brush against mine. I lightly turned my hand to grab his. I was glad when he laced his fingers with mine.

By the time we reached my apartment building, the sun was almost completely gone. It was getting even colder out. Spencer pulled me into a hug. The warmth was amazing as my head rest against his chest.

"Do you want to come up for a bit?" I asked. I could hear his heart speed up a little.

"Uh, sure. Yeah. I'd like that." I pulled back from his chest. He had that shy smile on his face. I fished in my purse for my keys and led us up to my place. As we went up the stairs we passed Leila.

"Hey, Grace! Who's your friend?"

"This is Spencer. Spence, this is my friend Leila. She lives in the apartment next to me."

"It's nice to meet you," Spencer said.

"You too."

"Where are you off to?"

"I have a date. He should be coming any minute so I better rush down. I'll see you around."

"See ya!"

She waved before continuing her jog down the stairs. We got to my floor and I let us into the apartment. I gave a quick look around. I silently thanked past me for cleaning the place this morning. We both took off our shoes and coats.

I walked straight to the couch and had a seat. Spencer just sort of looked at me for a moment before joining me.

"It sucks that your work is so unpredictable," I said. "Planning these dates can be such a pain."

"I know," he sighed. "I'm sorry."

"It's okay. I know you can't control that." I was examining his features. I couldn't help but notice the way his eyes squinted slightly whenever talking about his work. "What kind of job has such a random schedule?"

"It's complicated," he said, dancing around the question. That same response annoyed me.

"Why can't you just tell me what your job is?" I asked, laughing lightly.